Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

253 m20 tailshaft

Sudzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
Hi I am new to this forum and old Commodores. What is the difference between a tail shaft that was used with 253 M20 and a 8 bolt Salisbury and the tail shaft out of a 308 M21 with a 10 bolt diff? Are they more heavy duty and are they much thicker in diameter etc. I recently brought a L36 M20 VIN Sedan. I want to replace the 253, M20 and small Salisbury diff with the 308 a M21 and 10 bolt Salisbury diff. My question is, will a tail shaft from a 253 v8 Commodore with a M20 gearbox and small Salisbury diff still work ok with a 308 motor, a 10 bolt diff and a M21 gearbox or should i use a tail shaft out of a factory 308, which are apparently green?. Id guess the 253 tail shaft work fine depending on the driving style. Does anyone have a list of the colour code that Holden used for vb to vk commodores, eg my 253 m20 tail shaft is blue at the gearbox end and looks black on the rest of it and all 308 tri and m21 were green?..

Last edited: