Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

253 Turbo.

NFNSUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/x - VS BT1
Alright.. I realise there is a lot of threads to do with this but I find a lot of them hard to understand because not a lot is explained.

I have my 253 VH in the shed and I've been considering boost. Being a welder apprentice I can do the welding myself. My budget is as low as possible because this is just a project for the hell of it, I don't care if i end up with a blown motor etc because well.. As people say, boat anchor.

So.. If anyone's interested I'd love to make a step by step installation for future people to refer to.

Being a V8 does this mean ill need to go with twin turbo or is it possible to stick with one?

Living in the country there is a lot of 4WD's around ( 4L-4.2L ) so finding turbos should be relatively easy..

Anyone experienced in boost, where should I start?

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Ok first of all petrol & deisel turbos are different, I was eyeing off a friends spare turbo for my deisel tractor and was told it wouldnt work, I needed one off a deisel engine. So I suggest you confirm this to make 100% sure before you start.

Twin turbo would yeild better results, but a single turbo would work, from memory I read somewhere you swap the LH & RH exhaust manifolds around and send them forward to a turbo then back under and out the back.

I would love to see how much boost you could give a 253 before it blew the heads off :)

Scott

NFNSUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/x - VS BT1
Funny that.. I had that conversation with three others just before making this post. I was certain there was a difference and they all assured me there wasn't lol. Worst part is.. One of them if an apprentice mechanic. :s

Alright so I think it'd be best to make up a check list to start..

First off, two turbos. As I don't know much about forced induction ( this is all a big lesson to me. ) can anyone suggest what size/type I should be looking for? Keep in mind, I'm not making a street machine. Just backyard boost.

The 253 has a standard exhaust system on it so I have some standard manifolds to switch around.

Some sort of intercooler system.

turbo cooling? Oil feed I think I've read somewhere.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
A couple of turbos off a Nissan 300zx engine would probably be ok, maybe a little on the small side but would give safe levels of boost and spool up nice and be cheap secondhand.

NFNSUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/x - VS BT1
A quick eBay search came up with two ball bearing Garret's off a 300zx for $700. Is this roughly the price I'm looking at?

fatboyvk

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 vr commodore
im pretty sure you can use diesel turbos on petrol engine but not the other way around. i had a mate that was a tractor mechanic and he took a turbo off a john deere and put it on his rb30det. lagged real bad but had lots of wank apeal

boostin01

Reaction score
Members Ride
a few holdens
turbos of a 300zx would work, but im fair sure have ceramic compressor and turbine wheels, therfore, enought boost will cause wheel failure (basicaslly explode lol, crack etc), dont forget, your talking about using turbos from a 3.0 and putting them on a 4.2, therefor not the most efficient setup.

probably against the "rules" but join the turboforum, heaps of guys with turbo v8s making mad power with backyard setups.

Last edited:

boostin01

Reaction score
Members Ride
a few holdens
since your new on this stuff, go to the garrett website and download the pdf files on how turbos work, turbo identification and selection, reading compressor maps etc, doing that and taking in everything you ready from the pdfs, will give you more knowledge then probabley any one could explain on a forum.

Last edited:

boostin01

Reaction score
Members Ride
a few holdens
and yeah, single setups are generally cheaper due to not needing 2x turbos, wastegates, dumppipes, extra exhaust and intercooler plumbing etc...