Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

253 wont start after running fine

anf355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore
Yep so took the old VB for a quick squirt, ran it for around 15 mins, engine temp was 185 (85)
car running smooth, no pinging, topped up petrol, added some valve saver (maybe a little more than I should have) had car idling for 5 minutes at petrol station, drove 5 mins down the road to a mates house, let car sit for 15 mins, tried to start when leaving and no go.

starter spinning easy, I checked fuel line, seems to be a lot of pressure when removing fuel line to carby, (thats when car not turning over). I'm getting spark on 2 of the leads I checked, I tried an aerosol starter and fuel down the carby but still no luck.

I noticed when putting fuel down carby (2 barrel holley 350) there was a bit of white smoke out the exhaust like a smoking gun. Doesn't smell rich like it flooding and we tried for around 15 minutes to start it.

I noticed when trying to start it, it seemed like the carby was hot, like smokey but not.

No knocking noises, when turning, water and oil levels good. One plug was a little loose but looked functional.

Car has been running fine, not missing, its an old engine, purchased car 6 months ago, ran rough initially but I upgraded ignition system and runs great, I only drive it once a week for 15-20 mins at a time and start it 3-4 times a week usually. ive never had starting issues like this, it refuses to even sound like starting.

White smoke, could it be water from cracked head or gasket?

Could too much valve saver be the issue?

Timing chain?

My distributor is not tight tight, but tight enough, as I was adjusting the timing a while back but its been like that for a while, never had problems before. I should check rotor on number 1.

Could the carburettor be to hot, evaporating fuel before getting in, can that happen, but straight fuel down the carb should start it yes? Also I should see fuel out exhaust if flooded?

Im completely puzzled on this one.

any help would be much appreciated, will have to get it towed back home to play with it. Hmmm! hopefully nothing serious.

thanks for reading

Anthony

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Nothing like the old Aussie V8,
They just kept going, I had one in my 77 LX Torana, still wish I had it now, :oops:
I got rid of the points, and put electronic ignition in, never missed a beat. ;)
Doesn't sound to serious, sounds more like flooding, or timing,
as I have an old Black Hawk Timing Light, that never failed, as I always checked to see if it still timed right, never moved.
What area are you in Victoria ?
As there maybe a JC Member that may be able to help.
If you were around the Bayside area, I would gladly lend you a hand.

Last edited:

anf355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore
Oh thanks man, thats very generous, Im out near Tullamarine Airport, but the car is not to far from home, Ill get it towed for now and see what I can figure out. Maybe in a few days if I get desperate, hehe!

I keep coming back to the valve saver in my head, I loosely put almost a cap in with only 15 litres of fuel, maybe to much.

anyway, ill keep playing around

cheers again

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Probably flooded. The needle in the carby might be stuck.

Try starting it in park with the accelerator fully to the floor and crank it.

Last edited:

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
I keep coming back to the valve saver in my head, I loosely put almost a cap in with only 15 litres of fuel, maybe to much.

That will not be the cause of a no start problem.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
When you say you upgraded the ignition system, was this with the factory HEI dizzy from a later blue motor by any chance?

And does the car miraculously start again once it cools down?

If so, my money will be on the ign module on the side of the dizzy. Both my VH's (one 4.2L and the other 5.0L) did this exact same thing... starting perfectly from cold, running smoothly, then once turned off hot and left sit for a short period they had absolutely no spark until the engine cooled right down again.

The first time I tore my hair out for days trying to find the problem, I didn't have my SL/E at that stage so I only ended up finding it once I swapped the distributor with a mate's car and all of a sudden his car started doing it and mine didn't.

If you do replace the module, you'll need some thermal paste between it and the alloy housing, if the auto parts don't have it, any decent computer store should.

Andrew

anf355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore
Hmm, very interesting about the module, I think that will be my next avenue after I finish exploring something another possibility.
Oh also im using a Rai distributor with Bosch Module, pretty new.

I went back to my mates house with the timing gun thanks for the idea Kruising. while cranking I advanced the timing and it did start, but really rough, once running I retarded the timing again and had it running by ear ok, was a little smoky at first but then seemed almost as usual, I had it idling for around 3 minutes, put in drive and it stalled, almost started again but battery dead, it doesn't seem to like the regular timing setting. I then remembered I put 15 litres of 98 octane just prior at the servo where usually I run 95.

I'd find it really hard to believe that running a higher octane would cause this issue.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
What condition is the fuel pump in ?

anf355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore
Ooh! dunno. But dumping fuel down the carb throat should have made it start though, wouldn't it? Maybe ill turn it over with fuel line off and see how much comes out.

Ive considered a fuel lock aswell.

anf355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore
Hey ah! today I topped up with low octane 91 to dilute the 98 (just to rule it out) so I got the car running, but really rough, bit of smoke and backfired a few times, let it idle for a bit, its as if it hit a flat spot and later stalled, I started it again, backfired, then I had to advance the timing alot, like 18-20ish I think. It was running better but not perfect, I lifted the base idle so it wouldn't stall in drive.

I managed to drive it home (10 mins) but I minimised the load to prevent pinging. starts ok now at home but definitely feels out of time, lets of a bit of backfire now if I give it stick.

Im composing some scenarios in my head,

Could the higher octane fuel have cleaned out the carby, now its running richer, needing more timing to run? should I try adjust the mixtures and lean it out then bring timing back to 10-12?

Did something happen to the carby internally?

Maybe its my ignition. Maybe a coincidence but it all happened after putting in the higher octane 98.

Ive read a few threads about older carby motorcycles unable to start after running higher octane.

Hmmm! if anyone can chime in, maybe someone has used carb cleaner and in the past and had to adjust their settings after jets cleaned out.