Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

28 days until TUNE (advice on E85 and supporting mods please)

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by dsuth77, Sep 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christov

christov RFFN RFFR

Members Ride:
    VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
    Thanks mate, they're doing the two tunes and the auto for $6k so I'm pretty happy with that, apparently the Harrop pack I was looking at is not as expertly engineered as advertised! Just like you mentioned, the headers are designed to fit to the catback, should be engineered the other way around!

It will be interesting to see what the gains are at the end of the day - will post up graphs Tuesday week. Should be significant going from stock with 2.5" catback to the whole shabang!

2. PIR4TE

PIR4TE Banned

Members Ride:
    Black Pearl
    With std HSV cats I agree, however it is a cheap mid-throw Tri-y that works mid to top end basically, you can get serious HP out of them with proper secondaries pre-cat and a hi-flow barrel.

Agreed, I don't believe bolt-ons alone will guarantee brow-beating airflow past the choke of 0.478" intake lift at 5300 RPM, but with the right conditions tuned on e85 it is possible to achieve that on the rollers. So what, means FA IRL.

Yeah +/-10rkw is no biggie given the variables. Rockers are a good Claytons cam without much work to reach 300Rkw tuned specifically for top end on e85 I found.

What can have you that gives you 350rkw?

3. PIR4TE

PIR4TE Banned

Members Ride:
    Black Pearl
    Yeah stock compatibility or matching of branded flange position seems the main stuff up when people go for (first) full exhaust. $6k eh?! Will definitely want to see the result next time in Melbourne.
    Thinking with your budget you can prolly pour some rare domain Cru while we compare mods! :beer chug:

Yeah will add to resale, take a dynamic vid too would be good, not just mang in the carport!

4. arronm

arronm Active Member

Members Ride:
    FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
    Yeh changing from P100 to 98 killed the power a bit. We didnt see any gains. Buts thats ok car drives good and fuel is easier to get. I only put the HSV headers on as they were free. So yeah just over 40kw gain over stock

5. christov

christov RFFN RFFR

Members Ride:
    VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
    For sure mate, you've got my email. Next time your in town drop me a line!

Will post charts/vid once done!

6. blackve76

blackve76 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
    Std bottom end(pistons valve machined 100thou)
    Ported shaved heads(pro stock guy in Adelaide did them) comp around 12.7 :1
    Comp 239/247 cam, double springs and pushrods(stb lifters)
    ported fast LSXR manifold running 65lb fast injectors via ASE fuel rails with nick William 105 throttle body and dus otr
    Ls2 cam tensioner and double row chain(can't remember brand)
    1 7/8 pacemaker headers 3" 100 cpi cats and 3"KPM exhaust
    Twin ASE fuel pump running E85 tune

Actually drives ok on the street the E85 is the best done 15000kms in this guise(had a 224/244 cam before with around 315rwkws) on 98

If I was do do it again I would change lifters and get more comp in her

[​IMG]

7. arronm

arronm Active Member

Members Ride:
    FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
    Or just throw a supercharger on

I don't know much about the commodore V8 but the cams sure kill the torque down low
    Peak torque at 5500. That's race car territory. I can only compare against my F6 graph with 98 tune 1051nm torque at 3000rpm

I reckon to retain the low rpm torque supercharger is the way to go

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  8. torana355

torana355 Member

Members Ride:
    VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
    Its still making 500nm down low so its not losing much, its just not gaining much till higher up the rev range. You are right a supercharger is definitely the way to go for down low torque. Im going to go a baby cam,some decent pistons and lifters and later down the track when i get bored a supercharger would be my endgame.

9. blackve76

blackve76 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
    I wanted a tough N/a car and building it all except porting the heads has been satisfying

She drives nice can drive in 6th at 80km/h no worries with 3.7 gears

Getting old no drove our stock 09 SS this week and love it(normal drive a VE Dual fuel V6

Really the standard 6L has enough grunt.

10. PIR4TE

PIR4TE Banned

Members Ride:
    Black Pearl
    Wow all the right gear especially top induction, would be a hoot to drive. Yeah more comp! I'm thinking about taking it to 14 :bomb:

11. PIR4TE

PIR4TE Banned

Members Ride:
    Black Pearl
    That sounds fantastic, twice the torque of your VF, more like a turbo Big Block crate engine... Please post the graph, transmission type and wheel dimensions. More likely your dyno chart is actually roller torque not derived torque, in which case mine gets 2500Nm in second gear!

What is the motive force / tractive effort at peak torque?

12. arronm

arronm Active Member

Members Ride:
    FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
    Is was comparing max torque the same as blackve76.he made 781 Mine was run on mainline as well

Why do you always have to make smart arse comments. I am old enough to know about comparing apples with apples

Given the nature of some of your posts you must be in your 20s

13. PIR4TE

PIR4TE Banned

Members Ride:
    Black Pearl
    Old enough to smell **** and you sir don't know what you are talking about, trying to help you understand and stop making a fool of yourself with ridiculous statements, savvy?

Come on then, back up your crap, post the dyno and expose yourself you old smart Alec!

14. revster

revster Active Member

Members Ride:
    30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
    For those that may be interested, I had my car retuned from P100 to BP 98 today just to be safe as P100 is on death row. I also told my tuner that while it flew at higher revs getting off the line appeared sluggish unless really given the boot and I was contemplation a new diff ratio. When he was checking the A/F ratios he said for some reason it was running too lean at low revs and while I probably couldn't hear it ping the knock sensor was probably pulling timing out and that was the reason for the flat spot. Now that he has made it run richer down low, it gets off the line perfectly. The rwkw was down 10 compared to the earlier P100 tune so maybe lost a little on the 98 but it runs very strong now. Overall even down 10 kw on its previous run, it is still a gain of just over 40rwkw with bolt ons. And he did the retune for free! I am going to forget the diff change for now.

Bob

15. arronm

arronm Active Member

Members Ride:
    FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
    Mate I have been on many forums over many years and have never come across anyone like you. You always seem to find negativity regarding things people post. And dare anyone post anything that doesnt suggest the V8 commodore is GOD.

I got all exciting over getting my new VF and came on this forum to get some ideas on mods and to share my experience as I modded and had my car tuned.

My initial post was understanding that the cams in the VE VF commodore lift the peak torque very high and I was just comparing it to the peak torque in my F6. 3000rpm compared to 5500rpm.

I obviously made the mistake of quoting numbers. But I just compared max torque with max torque. Not derived torque or motive force.

Do you even drive a VF. If not why dont you ###c off out of this section and go annoy people else where.

Anyrate this is my 98 octane graph. Picked up considerably more on P100.

Once a put a blower on my VF I recon I will have similar power. Would like about 420rwkw. Lets see your graph. Dont be embarrassed. I promise I wont laugh...........

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2014
  16. Grennan

Grennan Slayer of Stupid Threads

Members Ride:
    VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
    Why did you go the LSXR manifold out of interest?

From everything ive read there a very measly gain over the stock manifold.

17. arronm

arronm Active Member

Members Ride:
    FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
    Revster, that sounds exacty what I have just done. The P100 really made the car perform well but after I went OTR and exhaust, it was time for a retune. After installing the OTR my car was pinging like a bitch so I parked it up and drove my F6 until it was booked in. I always new I would retune on 98 so I made sure I used all the P100 before I put the put OTR on. It pinged both on P100 and 98 after the OTR install. Maybe it wouldnt ping on a stock car, but as mine had already been tuned I gathered thats what it was. I was expecting a bit of a further gain after the cat back and OTR. But the tuner had to take timing out with the 98 so it ended up the same as the P100 tune. So same as you, just over 40rwkw gain from stock. Drives nice and sounds nice. What exhaust and intake do you have.

18. revster

revster Active Member

Members Ride:
    30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
    I have KPM OTR and KPM 2.5 SS full exhaust system with 4-1 Pacemakers and 100 CPI cats. Best sounding system I have heard. Many ask me what it is when they hear it.

VE_CalaisV8 likes this.
  19. arronm

arronm Active Member

Members Ride:
    FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
    Cool, I got VCM OTR, Xforce cat back (the louder one with hotdogs) and HSV headers and cats that I got for free. Sounds like our cars are similar. Mine is auto, which the tuner sharpened up the shifts. I also changed the diff to 3.45 from 2.92. Made a huge difference to initial acceleration. You must be Auto. And I have read no LSD in Calais.

20. arronm

arronm Active Member

Members Ride:
    FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
    For the guys who PMed with support, thank-you you have re-instilled my faith regarding the reason we have forums and the bonds and knowledge we can share.

As for Pir4te, I didnt bother reading your PM and wont be bothering with any of you posts or comments. You are a waste of space.

And that's the final word I will be saying about that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.