Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

28 days until TUNE (advice on E85 and supporting mods please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mack78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6 and VK berlina 3.3
no offence but sounds like you wouldn't of been happy unless she was pumping out 300rwkw as everyone has pointed out you got exactly if not a tad more than the norm from simple bolt ons and tune.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
My issue is spending an extra grand on HM extractors and going the Sidemount CAI on the advice from the tuner when they don't make the gains.I have driven cars with similar combinations and its like my car is a six in comparison.

And I now have a check engine light. A half arsed tune with **** parts not happy

HM headers definitely aren't ****, some of the best gains on the market. At the end of the day it's just bolt ons - there's probably piss all difference between them, difference in sound probably with the better quality headers.

If you've got issues give them a call.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
My issue is spending an extra grand on HM extractors and going the Sidemount CAI on the advice from the tuner when they don't make the gains.I have driven cars with similar combinations and its like my car is a six in comparison.

And I now have a check engine light. A half arsed tune with **** parts not happy
It was your call, set of fancy extractors won't give you an extra 50rwkw if that's what you were expecting.

dsuth77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS A6 UTE
HM headers definitely aren't ****, some of the best gains on the market. At the end of the day it's just bolt ons - there's probably piss all difference between them, difference in sound probably with the better quality headers.

If you've got issues give them a call.

I haven't called yet as the car is booked in for a 98 tune in a week, so before I passed judgment I have driven it 250 + kms, had a mechanic who's modified many a machine drive it before and after tune without telling him what I had done, to get an unbiased opinion and he said exactly what I was thinking.

These are not the only issues the auto is far too aggressively tuned (I said I didn't want that) and doing strange things like driving idling (no throttle)in 3rd manually changing to 2nd and having the car rev to 3000rpm for 3 sec and then actually changing.

I was planning on going to meet at port melbourne tonight for opinions but as the car is throwing a code don't really want to drive it. anyone with an OBD2 SCANNER?

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
I was planning on going to meet at port melbourne tonight for opinions but as the car is throwing a code don't really want to drive it. anyone with an OBD2 SCANNER?

Well I was going to go, but you already got my opinion. You went in expecting far to much and got what is a pretty standard tune and figure.

rx2_freak

Smokes, let's go.
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Z SERIES SPORTWAGON
Had the car tuned + auto, side mount CAI (APS designed) extractors with 100 cpsi cats as above and GTS/Maloo catback with standard mufflers.

I'm very dissapointed only made 251rwkw on E85. But more so driving the car Less throttle response, less torque until 4000-4500rpm then goes like I expected till it drops off at 5500.

View attachment 175063

I trusted Frank at APS when I had concerns with the extractors and CAI design. Now the excuses: the blue stock line on the dyno sheet is after everything was installed and the red line is with a tune, Its a new Dyno its tight it reads low, the x pipe is restrictive.

My gut tells me my car was rushed and probably barely spent any time on the dyno (too many big dollar cars there to care about mine)

I could of saved a $1000 and had hsv extractors instead.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Do you have some more info and pics of the intake they used.

another quick question, is there a reason why you didn't use an OTR. The 250kw with bolt ons is about right, mine from memory got around the same[6l auto]

dsuth77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS A6 UTE
It was your call, set of fancy extractors won't give you an extra 50rwkw if that's what you were expecting.

VE SSV - EXHAUST , TUNE & AIRBOX.mp4 - YouTube

I was expecting:

1. The car to drive like 85% of the HARROP, WALKINSHAW, GM MOTORSPORT DEMO CARS bearing in mind the my catback, It has nowhere near the throttle response, or torque. these cars were on 98

2.about 5 to 10rwkw more than 426cuda (260rwkw)who had a gain of 30kw after fitting hi flow cats and a tune to the otr, hsv extractors and gts catback

3. To have better throttle response than a stock 150,000km ve ssv auto (my brothers car)

4. what I was promised : HM Headers = better than HSV, :SIDEMOUNT CAI = no different to otr

Mack78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6 and VK berlina 3.3
sidemounts VS OTR is a personal call have read of heaps of people with a preference but OTR seems to be the decision if you are just chasing dyno numbers, as far as throttle response yes that should improve but do you know what sort of fuel he was using at the time (your brother you are comparing to). LOTS of variables and not enough people being clear with the tuner they choose after what they are looking for. From the outside it sounds like you are just chasing numbers and maybe the tuner has done all he can to try and please you with them, sit down with him and explain what you want from the throttle and maybe they can match it better.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
VE SSV - EXHAUST , TUNE & AIRBOX.mp4 - YouTube

I was expecting:

1. The car to drive like 85% of the HARROP, WALKINSHAW, GM MOTORSPORT DEMO CARS bearing in mind the my catback, It has nowhere near the throttle response, or torque. these cars were on 98

2.about 5 to 10rwkw more than 426cuda (260rwkw)who had a gain of 30kw after fitting hi flow cats and a tune to the otr, hsv extractors and gts catback

3. To have better throttle response than a stock 150,000km ve ssv auto (my brothers car)

4. what I was promised : HM Headers = better than HSV, :SIDEMOUNT CAI = no different to otr
At that power level 10rwkw is less than a 5% variance, it's nothing. If it makes you feel better take it back and get them to strap it down weak like most places and you'll have your 260rwkw sheet.
I find it hard to believe that the throttle response is worse than it was before.

Status
Not open for further replies.