Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

28 days until TUNE (advice on E85 and supporting mods please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mack78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6 and VK berlina 3.3
well the WP kits offer a full warranty so to me that's a safer option, and you just said Yourself you did your research so why did you let a tuner make decisions about your car that you had already decided on. YOU are the one paying therefore its your call not theirs at the end of the day but I still think the gains you are after are unrealistic for what you have done.

dsuth77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS A6 UTE
What diff, man/auto?

Yeah mate, that's ****. I thought it would be brilliant, maybe there's more to the dyno report as well btw.

I'm seriously doubting 690nm at the flywheel I'd think I would notice an extra 150nm

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Did you measure the ethanol content?

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Seriously, what the #### am I reading?

Because I do my research

Just leaving this quote here for added lolz.

VE SSV - EXHAUST , TUNE & AIRBOX.mp4 - YouTube

I was expecting:

1. The car to drive like 85% of the HARROP, WALKINSHAW, GM MOTORSPORT DEMO CARS bearing in mind the my catback, It has nowhere near the throttle response, or torque. these cars were on 98

2.about 5 to 10rwkw more than 426cuda (260rwkw)who had a gain of 30kw after fitting hi flow cats and a tune to the otr, hsv extractors and gts catback

3. To have better throttle response than a stock 150,000km ve ssv auto (my brothers car)

4. what I was promised : HM Headers = better than HSV, :SIDEMOUNT CAI = no different to otr

1. Do you know exactly what was done to these cars? Could it be that these demo cars are there to sell you on a product and are therefor a little more happy in the power figures?

2. This is where I want to slap you with the idiot stick. Lets drum this into your head DYNO FIGURES ARE A FIGMENT OF YOUR IMAGINATION! They are a tuning tool to see if the air and fuel ratios are correct and to make sure its a nice steady gain of power. Comparing your car to someone elses car who has run on a different dyno, different day, different temperates, different operator you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

3. I doubt it has better response.

4. HM headers are better, what size headers did you get? If you went for 1 7/8 you probably loose a little down low but make more power up top. Noise is great but unless youve got a nice cam or FI its not needed.

Did you do a dyno run of the HSV headers and OTR then compare to the HM headers and side mount? No? Ok good.

I paid the $3350 a grand extra for a gain I never received

You gained 30 rwkw, on a conservative dyno. Strap it down somewhere else and it will read something different.

Just FYI, I just had mine tuned. OTR, 17/8 Headers, 2 and a half inch exhaust with a H Pipe. Made 252rwkw on 98. Now, on any other dyno, I would say youre probably sitting on 260rwkw. But being a brand new Dyno and a Mainline at that, they are CONSERVATIVE.

If you went into this wanting 270rwkw, you a) brought the wrong car b) did the wrong mods c) got waaaaay ahead of yourself.

Now, I would ring APS on Monday. Say hey, I dont have the much increased throttle response and maybe id like to make the power a little earlier. See if they can adjust the tune for you to suit more low down power.

dsuth77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS A6 UTE
well the WP kits offer a full warranty so to me that's a safer option, and you just said Yourself you did your research so why did you let a tuner make decisions about your car that you had already decided on. YOU are the one paying therefore its your call not theirs at the end of the day but I still think the gains you are after are unrealistic for what you have done.

The driveline warranty is insurance approximately $500 premium paid by the tuner whether its Walkinshaw, Harrop, or GM Motorsports I have spoken to all of them in person at length.
If you had a failure the parts would have to be sent to an expert/manufacturer for their final opinion on why it failed.
Try and argue its not been abused without lots of money and the time your car is off the road.
In saying that I believe Walkinshaw would be the easiest to deal with if a warranty claim was made

dsuth77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS A6 UTE
Seriously, what the #### am I reading?

Just leaving this quote here for added lolz.

1. Do you know exactly what was done to these cars? Could it be that these demo cars are there to sell you on a product and are therefor a little more happy in the power figures?

2. This is where I want to slap you with the idiot stick. Lets drum this into your head DYNO FIGURES ARE A FIGMENT OF YOUR IMAGINATION! They are a tuning tool to see if the air and fuel ratios are correct and to make sure its a nice steady gain of power. Comparing your car to someone elses car who has run on a different dyno, different day, different temperates, different operator you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

3. I doubt it has better response.

4. HM headers are better, what size headers did you get? If you went for 1 7/8 you probably loose a little down low but make more power up top. Noise is great but unless youve got a nice cam or FI its not needed.

Did you do a dyno run of the HSV headers and OTR then compare to the HM headers and side mount? No? Ok good.

You gained 30 rwkw, on a conservative dyno. Strap it down somewhere else and it will read something different.

Just FYI, I just had mine tuned. OTR, 17/8 Headers, 2 and a half inch exhaust with a H Pipe. Made 252rwkw on 98. Now, on any other dyno, I would say youre probably sitting on 260rwkw. But being a brand new Dyno and a Mainline at that, they are CONSERVATIVE.

If you went into this wanting 270rwkw, you a) brought the wrong car b) did the wrong mods c) got waaaaay ahead of yourself.

Now, I would ring APS on Monday. Say hey, I dont have the much increased throttle response and maybe id like to make the power a little earlier. See if they can adjust the tune for you to suit more low down power.

As you rightly point out Dyno's are a tool like yourself. What was your gain? If you have read my posts and taken them in you will realise that when I questioned
the dyno sheet GAIN 30KW Frank quickly rebuttled with the stock line is with everything installed!!!

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
As you rightly point out Dyno's are a tool like yourself. What was your gain? If you have read my posts and taken them in you will realise that when I questioned
the dyno sheet GAIN 30KW Frank quickly rebuttled with the stock line is with everything installed!!!

I dont know. I didnt ask for a before and after because I couldnt care less. I would hazard a guess and say it wouldve been around 220rwkw stock. Which would be a 30rwkw gain.

Its not just about the power of the engine though. Increased torque, power that really hits its strides once I reach about 70kmph which means it doesnt just die in the arse at 100. The auto feels a lot better the way it shifts harder in sport mode and holds its revs etc.

...and whats wrong with 30rwkw gain? Whats wrong with the before tune line with everything installed?

Ok, how long did they have your car for? A day?

You want them to warm the car up. Put the car on the dyno. Let it cool down. Install the exhaust etc and then put it back on the dyno for what is usually 6 or so runs for tuning?

Call me a tool all you want, but you dont want to hear the truth. So maybe you need to just go to a workshop that blows smoke up your arse. You sound like a typical dyno sheet waver.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Mate the dyno sheet is flawed, you are correct. Needs to be measured. and logged properly for that money, and I agree the tube is likely second rate given the collective concerns you have raised.
You say it's **** and the chart is a joke, up to them to make good.

Status
Not open for further replies.