Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

28 days until TUNE (advice on E85 and supporting mods please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Also it is not dissing the tuner by presenting the facts in a public forum, wankers here stop defending the indefensible and think about the poor kent who just got ripped another one. Otherwise feel free to prove how the #### the dyno report IS accurate!

But when its another particular tuner youre always johnny on the spot with the defense :p

Looking at the Torque, 690 @ 160kpmh does sound high.

To be fair, he would be making a lot of his power up top which is where mine makes a lot of its power. I didnt get a torque reading for mine but with math skills we roughly calculated it to be in the 600s as well.

I personally would throw the dyno sheet directly in the bin and go by what the car feels like to drive. If it feels like ****, go back.

What the OP needs to understand is, his car sounds like its making a lot of the power further up. If thats not what he wants then he needs to discuss the best course of action with the tuner. If the shifts are to harsh then perhaps he needs to have a seperate profile for sport and normal driving and the normal driving profile is much more relaxed.

From everything Ive read here, the OP is caught up to much in the Dyno Figures. A problem a lot of people have. They see other dynos running 275rwkw like the one above and think why isnt my car making that power.

Go by he butt in the seat. When I drove my car out of C&A and hit that accelerator pedal I thought meh. I was expecting the change I had in my LS1 where it was all bottom end torque. I went to my "Private Track" and actually got it up to speed and from 80-160kmph is INSANE.

To the OP, how much of a chat did you have with APS, did they sit down with you and discuss what you wanted ie 0-100 performance?

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Yup and this is the perfect example of Dyno Dynamics reading high.

Easy solution, OP should go get a readout on a dyno dynamics dyno. Then he feels better about himself, everybody wins.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
Yup and this is the perfect example of Dyno Dynamics reading high.

Happy dyno or not. It ran 226rwkw with just a cat back. With a tune and OTR added, 269 rwkw. When extractors and cats went on (a few weeks later) 277rwkw. So that is a gain of over 50rwkw. I am happy with the gain and not too fussed with the actual number.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Happy dyno or not. It ran 226rwkw with just a cat back. With a tune and OTR added, 269 rwkw. When extractors and cats went on (a few weeks later) 277rwkw. So that is a gain of over 50rwkw. I am happy with the gain and not too fussed with the actual number.

You say happy dyno or not and then proceed to quote dyno figures.

277rwkw on a auto 6L is ridiculous for an exhaust and tune and further confuses the OP as well as other people who see your sheet and think why isnt mine making that.

You should be happy with the gains, again, the arse in seat test is what matters. But please dont go quoting those figures as what is to be expected on a similar car with similar mods.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
You say happy dyno or not and then proceed to quote dyno figures.

277rwkw on a auto 6L is ridiculous for an exhaust and tune and further confuses the OP as well as other people who see your sheet and think why isnt mine making that.

You should be happy with the gains, again, the arse in seat test is what matters. But please dont go quoting those figures as what is to be expected on a similar car with similar mods.

So, posting dyno readouts should be banned according to you. As I am sure you are aware stock cars can vary quite a lot from factory and then there is the manner in which the car is run in. And I don't have the SAME mods as the OP I have a different brand of extractors, a totally different CAI, different brand CATS and I don't have the stock rear muffler that the OP has. In addition, we have different tuners. I am happy with my tune, the OP isn't in terms of bums on the seat feel. We all understand that dynos read different in the same way that no 2 engines are the same even from factory. I think we are all enough to understand it is about the gains and the driving feel. Most of us here are not children.

I never said to the OP that he should expect 277kw. I only posted mine at the OP's request.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
So, posting dyno readouts should be banned according to you. As I am sure you are aware stock cars can vary quite a lot from factory and then there is the manner in which the car is run in. And I don't have the SAME mods as the OP I have a different brand of extractors, a totally different CAI, different brand CATS and I don't have the stock rear muffler that the OP has. In addition, we have different tuners. I am happy with my tune, the OP isn't in terms of bums on the seat feel. We all understand that dynos read different in the same way that no 2 engines are the same even from factory. I think we are all enough to understand it is about the gains and the driving feel. Most of us here are not children.

I never said to the OP that he should expect 277kw. I only posted mine at the OP's request.

Ok im going to pick this apart.

1) No, posting dyno sheets should not be banned, like all things they have their place. But unfortunately, 90% of people, I am not saying you are one of them, but 90% of people look at them and take them as gospel, just look at the OP in this thread comparing his sheet to someone else and wondering why he didnt get that figure. They are only as good as the person a) behind the computer doing the tune and b) the person interpreting it. A lot of people (as seen in this thread) do not understand that a dyno figure can widly vary based on a lot of variables. Further to that, a lot of workshops strap the car down tight on the stock run and then on the power run dont strap is as well giving the customer the illusion that their hard earned has netted them massive returns.

2) You for the most part, have similar mods. Different brand extractors are NOT going to make a huge difference, its more the style of the extractors and size. I am quite certain that both of the cars have 4 into 1 style extractors. Obviously size is up in the air. Exhaust again, not a huge different but yes you are correct, the difference is there. CAI and Side Mount intake both are very similar in their air flow. An intake doesn't really change MUCH on the dyno as much as on the street/strip.

Now yes the OP may have picked up a little more power with a 2.5" exhaust and maybe he wouldve picked up slightly more power with a CAI, but it would be a very insignificant amount in the grand scheme of things. Maybe he wouldve been a little closer to the 260 mark.

3. Different tuners. Yes, and this is where the difference will be. Different tuners = different dyno testing methods. Dont for a second think every tuner has their own unique and super secret tune. For a LSX with basic mods, there will be a generic tune loaded in and then the AFRs played with to suit.

If you think there is so much difference between the mods and tuners, why would you bother to post the dyno sheet? May as well post a pic of an LS3 Dyno.

I know you never said he should expect 277rwkw, honestly, if that got anywhere close to 277rwkw on Mainline id eat my left nut. Im just trying to drum this into the OPs head as well as other people, that basing your thoughts on dyno sheets is the completely wrong way to go about it.

Mack78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6 and VK berlina 3.3
to me dynos are a great tool for use on the day to tune the car not compare against anyone else. I think we have all agreed here the OP should be less concerned with the dyno and more concerned with the feel, I still am yet to hear why he didn't go straight back as he sounds unsatisfied from the get go. would anyone else here have a complaint about the car and then come on here without first taking it back to the tuner?

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Thats a good question and having heard so many good things from APS, Im sure if you went there and spoke in a nice calm and informed manner theyd sit down with you and discuss what your options are as well as what can be done to make it perform a little better on the street.

dsuth77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS A6 UTE
to me dynos are a great tool for use on the day to tune the car not compare against anyone else. I think we have all agreed here the OP should be less concerned with the dyno and more concerned with the feel, I still am yet to hear why he didn't go straight back as he sounds unsatisfied from the get go. would anyone else here have a complaint about the car and then come on here without first taking it back to the tuner?

The tuner knew I was coming back in 2 weeks for a 98 tune , already had a car on the dyno all bays full, nowhere around the area to open it up, I live 1.5 hrs away at best didn't want 2 hrs plus with peak hour, had things to do as I was supposed to pick it up the day before, my brother who had to drive me there again wasn't quite sure how to get home.

Mack78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6 and VK berlina 3.3
so the engine light came on at which part of this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.