Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

28 days until TUNE (advice on E85 and supporting mods please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mack78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6 and VK berlina 3.3
mega face palm! you have seemed more concerned about the gains then the engine light the whole time. hard to wanna help someone when all they want to go on about is the gains compared to elsewhere that you so religiously researched to end up going to one suggested to by someone who hasn't even admitted they have personally used.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Yeah a bloke from Queensland recommended them and he went there based on that by the sounds of it.

Pirate you ever been there before?

Haha, goan nibble your left nut mate!!

Nah like I said, never had my car done by a Melbourne tuner (can't trust 'em)! But just like you said, I noted APS has a good track record in e85, AirStrike said didn't factor a reckoning with his turbo mates though, but simply put this is a stuff up, dude has right to be pissed and post facts, but #### me we are no jury, the shop needs right of reply IMO.

Actually I mentioned on CB words to the effect that this guy was getting a raw deal before he went in, and factor in Nate's story... It does add up to OP simply having a civil word with the owner about expectations, agreed.

Mack78

Reaction score
Members Ride
the shop needs to rectify the engine light issue the OP need to understand that bolt ons only get bolt on gains

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
the shop needs to rectify the engine light issue the OP need to understand that bolt ons only get bolt on gains

Yep, but sorta sold up the river with 4-1 + cats like pic, however OP got exactly as specified. In the detail OP's right about collector, right about expecting more by getting special CAI and e85 tune, right about return on investment is poor. With proper length collector and moving cats back, sacrificing a bit of original catback and a couple of welded flanges I reckon you should expect a tune near what is shown on dyno. Remember that dyno figure is arbitrary, not kosher, and as Grennan said at best is likely only producing some power up top, no doubt exacerbates by the way it's been set up.
Bottom line is you can't get max torque and hp 4-1 bolted up to std catback in factory position, has to include some collector.

Mack78

Reaction score
Members Ride
I understand what you are saying but the OP seems focused on dyno gains and sounds like the tuner did all he could to get that magic higher number up the rev range. seems to be all he is focused on and I get the impression the tuner would of been feeling the same as me after listening to him go on and on and on about what everyone is getting. for someone who claims to of done a heap of research it sounds like he done none at all.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Yep, but sorta sold up the river with 4-1 + cats like pic, however OP got exactly as specified. In the detail OP's right about collector, right about expecting more by getting special CAI and e85 tune, right about return on investment is poor. With proper length collector and moving cats back, sacrificing a bit of original catback and a couple of welded flanges I reckon you should expect a tune near what is shown on dyno. Remember that dyno figure is arbitrary, not kosher, and as Grennan said at best is likely only producing some power up top, no doubt exacerbates by the way it's been set up.
Bottom line is you can't get max torque and hp 4-1 bolted up to std catback in factory position, has to include some collector.

But you shouldnt really expect more from a special CAI. I mean, they can sell you on it all they like, but end of the day the difference between lets say a VCM and a ORRSM is a bees dick and is not measurable by anyone in the car. I got my VCM intake not because people say its the best, but because I felt it looked the neatest in the engine bay. I couldve gone for any number of different OTRs for less and got the same result. Im fairly sure APS is doing the Carbon Fibre VCM ones now, they cost a premium. Would you expect it to perform better than the standard? I wouldnt because I know it just looks pretty. But would average joe know that? Probably not and I think thats whats happened here. Theyre pushing a product, it may not be inferior in anyway but the way theyve sold it its appeared better than it is.

Ill be honest, yes the number does look poor. Being on E85 you would expect a little more. But we have to remember hes slapped a second hand HSV exhaust on and some oversized headers. I wouldnt be expecting the world. Couple that with a very conservative dyno and that explains your numbers. I would be shocked if he didnt get 260-265 on another dyno with a better exhaust.

As far as driving it goes, well we can only go by what he has said. Mine was certainly punchier all throughout the rev range but I did notice it a lot higher up. I noticed the auto was much sharper as well as the blip on downshift in sports mode. Now if he has an issue with how it drives, they need to be addressed with the tuner, its that simple. I personally got into my car after it was tuned and went huh is that it? Becuase when i did my LS1 the car was a complete animal off the line. But, different exhaust set up. But when I felt the car making power where it was tuned to, it was wow.

What I am afraid will happen is, old mate will walk in and will mention dyno figures and other workshops packages and APS will roll their eyes. What OP needs to do is walk in nice and calmly and say ok the engine light is on, fix that. Also, I have some concerns with the auto, its to harsh, can we have a seperate profile for normal driving and sport. Then it doesnt have the same pickup off the line as I was expecting, can we adjust anything? Walking in waving around a dyno sheet is a quick way for them to just strap the car loose and just do whatever will shut you the #### up, without actually fixing any issues.

dsuth77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS A6 UTE
But you shouldnt really expect more from a special CAI. I mean, they can sell you on it all they like, but end of the day the difference between lets say a VCM and a ORRSM is a bees dick and is not measurable by anyone in the car. I got my VCM intake not because people say its the best, but because I felt it looked the neatest in the engine bay. I couldve gone for any number of different OTRs for less and got the same result. Im fairly sure APS is doing the Carbon Fibre VCM ones now, they cost a premium. Would you expect it to perform better than the standard? I wouldnt because I know it just looks pretty. But would average joe know that? Probably not and I think thats whats happened here. Theyre pushing a product, it may not be inferior in anyway but the way theyve sold it its appeared better than it is.

Ill be honest, yes the number does look poor. Being on E85 you would expect a little more. But we have to remember hes slapped a second hand HSV exhaust on and some oversized headers. I wouldnt be expecting the world. Couple that with a very conservative dyno and that explains your numbers. I would be shocked if he didnt get 260-265 on another dyno with a better exhaust.

As far as driving it goes, well we can only go by what he has said. Mine was certainly punchier all throughout the rev range but I did notice it a lot higher up. I noticed the auto was much sharper as well as the blip on downshift in sports mode. Now if he has an issue with how it drives, they need to be addressed with the tuner, its that simple. I personally got into my car after it was tuned and went huh is that it? Becuase when i did my LS1 the car was a complete animal off the line. But, different exhaust set up. But when I felt the car making power where it was tuned to, it was wow.

What I am afraid will happen is, old mate will walk in and will mention dyno figures and other workshops packages and APS will roll their eyes. What OP needs to do is walk in nice and calmly and say ok the engine light is on, fix that. Also, I have some concerns with the auto, its to harsh, can we have a seperate profile for normal driving and sport. Then it doesnt have the same pickup off the line as I was expecting, can we adjust anything? Walking in waving around a dyno sheet is a quick way for them to just strap the car loose and just do whatever will shut you the #### up, without actually fixing any issues.

The Tuner will not be back until wednesday, I am taking the car to a local tuner to read the codes on friday. why are 1 and 3/4 headers oversized?

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
The Tuner will not be back until wednesday, I am taking the car to a local tuner to read the codes on friday. why are 1 and 3/4 headers oversized?

1 3/4 arent as bad as 1 7/8. But 4 into 1s typically shift the power range of the car to the higher RPM range.

dsuth77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS A6 UTE
The other cars I drove were both 4-1 di filippo, 1 3/4 on the walkinshaw and 1 7/8 on gm motorsport and to the butt dyno the gm felt slighty torquier everywhere, you could probably attribute this to the ramjet as well as the 8kw higher dyno figure

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Status
Not open for further replies.