Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2ohm question..?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Can you run splits at 2ohm? Reason i ask is because i'm looking to upgrade one of the 2 Channel amps in my set up. The speakers in question are Sony XSD170I:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
If they must be run at 4ohm, which i'm assuming they will be, i want to upgrade the 2 channel amp i use for them.
Their rated at 60RMS each, how much more could i get away with giving them? Currently they get 60 each, from a Boss 2 channell.
At Ryda at the moment, Fusion RE series 2 channel for $150, .... 90RMS x 2 at 4ohm- Would i notice the extra 30RMS either side, or should i go something with little more power?

arrow224

Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
You can feed them as much power as you wish, as long as you set your gains appropriately, ie, the higher the power the lower the gains are.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
i know i can give the more power and adjust the gain, but obviously i dont want to spend a lot of ,money, on say something that puts out 200+RMS per channel, when there only going to handle half of that.

trepaul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina 308
The question more appropriately is can your amp run at 2 ohms. The ohms of a speaker are fixed and cannot be changed. However, you can configure them to present a 2 ohm load to your amp.

In this case, if the splits are 4 ohm, you run them in parallel and they will present a 2 ohm load to the amplifier. Obviously, you need more than one set of splits otherwise you'll miss out on one of the channels.

There may be more ways to do this, but this is the most common (to my knowledge, at least).

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Your not quite following. I want to upgrade my 2 channel amp that powers my splits. I need to know, can i run them at 2 ohm? Otherwise i must only look at the 4ohm power ratings, when trying to choose anew 2 channel amp to run them

trepaul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina 308
Well as far as I understand what you're asking, the answer is no. Speakers present a fixed load to an amp. A 4 ohm speaker stays a 4 ohm speaker no matter what you do. You can't flick a switch and make them 2 ohms.

If you want to run the amp at 2 ohms you need 2 ohm speakers. Unless, of course, you wire your splits up in parallel.

Unless you're asking can you run the amp channels at two ohms, the answer is it depends. Some amps can be two ohm stable. If the amp isn't and you do give it a 2 ohm load, chances are it will overheat sooner rather than later as it is producing more power than it is designed to.

Apologies if I'm still mis-interpreting your question.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah im not quite following what youre trying to ask either. Maybe explain a little more on what you want to do, or how you want to wire things up.

In answer to your earlier question, you probably wont hear too much of a difference by going from 60 to 90wrms, but you never know. But i can say the 90wrms amp will have to work alot less harder to push your splits to the limit, and wont get as hot and probably last longer.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
OK, so i'm looking at 2 channels ams, and as with most, they give a 4, and a 2 ohm power rating. So say the 4 ohm rating is 100RMS per channel, and the 2 ohm rating is say 160 RMS per channel. Should i only be looking at the 4 ohm rating? I will be connecting the one pair of splits only to it, hence why i also only want a 2 channel amp. I hope i explained that a little better.?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Ahh yes youve explained it fine.....you should be looking at the 4 ohm power output as the splits youre going to be using have an impedance of 4 ohms. Same goes for any type of speaker / subwoofer for anybody else wanting to know.