Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3.0 litre V6 for the Commodore

revv_head

I DRIVE A V6 SS :P
Reaction score
Members Ride
SS
Smaller the engine is the gayer it sounds usually. But totally in terms of grunt I mean. Rotarys sound mad but nothing like a V8.

if it puts out the same amount of power and uses less fuel then i cant see many disadvantages........or maybe im not looking close enough:whistling

Brad, even if it puts out the same amount of power it would inherently put out less torque. This issue hasn't been mentioned yet.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
Brad, even if it puts out the same amount of power it would inherently put out less torque. This issue hasn't been mentioned yet.

no not at all, look at all those german diesel's etc, yes i know different power characteristics but, 1.9-2.0L motors are putting out 320+nm of torque, more than the current commodores

revv_head

I DRIVE A V6 SS :P
Reaction score
Members Ride
SS
no not at all, look at all those german diesel's etc, yes i know different power characteristics but, 1.9-2.0L motors are putting out 320+nm of torque, more than the current commodores

But Holden is australian and it would be the same technology we are currently seeing? And as you stated it's a petrol engine not a diesel so it's not exactly in the same league .

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
Smaller the engine is the gayer it sounds usually. But totally in terms of grunt I mean. Rotarys sound mad but nothing like a V8.

i prefer the sound of the vw vr6 motors to any holden 6 and they range from 2.8 to 3.6ltr

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
But Holden is australian and it would be the same technology we are currently seeing? That and it's a petrol engine not a diesel so it's not exactly in the same league.

Turbo diesel with crdi afaik. Nothing incredible about that, just good engineering

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina

The 3.0L V6 only puts out 290NM of torque. They havent made a commodore with less torque than that since the VL Commodore over 20 years ago.

Less torque than a 22 year old car (VN) and an extra 400kg to pull with it :unsure:

Looking forward to the new state of the art Starfire Four in the 2032 model Commodore with a whopping 288NM of torque in a 2000kg+ car.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
The DI 3.6L will make its way into the higher class V6's, like the SV6 and Calais(-V), but I don't think we'll see the DI 3.6L in the base Omega and Berlina models because there is only a 3% saving in fuel efficiency when compared to the high output alloytec...

So the DI version would only match the current fuel economy of the base Omega and Berlina (about 10.6L per 100km, maybe 10.5). They'll want to get the VE under 10L per 100km which is where its competitors are (Falcon and Aurion) as that 9.9L figure can be a big sell point. So to me, it makes sense Holden would go that route. It just doesn't make sense from the torque/drivability point of view.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The 3.0L V6 only puts out 290NM of torque. They havent made a commodore with less torque than that since the VL Commodore over 20 years ago.

Less torque than a 22 year old car (VN) and an extra 400kg to pull with it :unsure:

Looking forward to the new state of the art Starfire Four in the 2032 model Commodore with a whopping 288NM of torque in a 2000kg+ car.

That's going to be the big issue here. You make a large heavy car and then you try and save fuel by sticking a small engine in it. History has shown over and over again, unless you are driving on super smooth and flat roads a small engine with less torque in a big car with use just as much fuel as the same type of engine in a bigger capacity. 290 newtons in a VE WILL not only be slower than the majorty of small cars it will still use somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 more fuel than those cars. Kinda makes you wonder just what market there is for such a car. It also will be bordering on an unsafe amount of torque to weight for a highway car. How often do you see a VE driving around with one person in it? 80% of them? at least.. Does it really need to be as large as a M1 tank?:) of course not. What Holden need is.

1 very small electric/hybrid car for urban duties
1 small turbo diesel sporty hatchback
1 1400 kg mid sized "Holden" I think the Commodore name has been around too long, with V8 and turbo diesel option (can the V6) (I see no need for a wagon and a sedan, just make a hatchback and be done with it)
1 ute
1 long wheel base sedan in both budget/omega and statesman spec trim, maybe a few long wheelbase wagons in black or white paint.

and
1 4x4 van/truck soccer mum machine with 7 or 8 seats

That's the lineup my imaginary car company has :p

Last edited: