Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3.0 SIDI 98 vs 91 octane

vq~gangsta

Resident science geek
Reaction score
Website
www.mbs.adelaide.edu.au
Members Ride
VE 3.0 SIDI ex-cop
Hi gang,

I was wondering if anyone's compared 91 with 98 octane in the 3.0 SIDI commodore and what your impressions are?

I've just put some 98 in and while i've only done a very short drive so far, it seems to have much more grunt and is using less fuel.

Any input appreciated

thanks heaps!

VE_CalaisV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportswagon
Hey mate,

The 98 obviously been a higher octane will potentially produce more power when used. Most of the time its only a fraction of an increase unless your motor is tuned for 98 which it isn't.

Some people say you get higher mileage out of the higher octane which can also happen. In my experience, I've found that my old car (VX executive 3.8) felt smoother when using 98.

I cant tell you for sure in terms of the 3.0 SIDI because I've never driven with that engine.

VTCALAIS97

Light 'em up
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV
before i got a tune, i was running 98 on my engine and it did feel more responsive and use *slightly* less fuel. Now that i have it tuned for 98 its much of the same, car is better and more responsive and the idle is smooth.

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
Is 91 octane, that E10 crap?
If it is, I do not understand why people would use it in cars, when it says at the petrol pump" not recommended for marine engines or gardening equipt
If I cant use it in my 25year old mower, why tha hell would ya put it in your cars
it don't make sense to me

EnFoRcEr_001

Deano
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 A5
E10 has a rating on 95 octane. So it isn't all that bad most new cars that can run e10 get the best mileage for what you pay compared 98. If its an older car pre 2005 don't bother with e10.

Beaubo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega
I have a ve omega 2006 and I've allways used 91 and then switched to 98 and you pay more for the same and then I switched to e10 and the fuel lasts so much longer its noticeable by a margin specially when I put the same amount of $$ every week.... And for power wise I didn't notice any difference on any but that's expected from something stock.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I am still not convinced that any gains can be had from using 98 PULP , however , I do use 95 in both cars , as an after thought , if not already done so , this could be one for Mighty Car Mods or Myth Busters

Last edited:

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
If it is, I do not understand why people would use it in cars, when it says at the petrol pump" not recommended for marine engines or gardening equipt
If I cant use it in my 25year old mower, why tha hell would ya put it in your cars

Comparing a carby fed 25 year old mower to a late model injected commodore designed with ethanol fuel in mind - brilliant.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6

Unsure of the comparison between my Briggs and Stratton 4 stroke and the engine of a modern Commodore .Oh hang on . :p

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
Ohhh you guys
lol