Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3.0 SIDI LF1 camshaft angles at TDC

Glantman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportwagon 3.0 SIDI
Hi all, got PO0017 error code at 150k km so decided to stick it up and change my own timing chains. No major dramas here, but upon starting up it's got a throaty sound (ie like a cold air filter but this is not fitted) and its idling slower (about 580rpm). Still get error code P0017 also.
So, I want to check I did get the chain timing correct, so without pulling the whole timing chain cover of again (just the valve covers), can anyone tell me what angle the camshafts should all be at when the motor is at TDC?

rognvald261

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS A6
Wow man, that’s a major job, with a two-stage timing alignment, four cams total each with variable valve timing. I have watched two videos on how-to and is more of a challenge than an LS for sure.
Easiest thing to check now it’s all together is the valve timing actual vs commanded by plugging in a professional tuning tool that reports the actual phaser position int/exh bank1/2.
I know EFIlive reports that for the e39 and e39a, the good news is once you’ve paid for the VIN seat and discover the commanded position of the 4x phaser in the stock map you can tune in the phasers to your want.

rognvald261

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS A6
For those watching at home