Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3.27 diff gears into a VT V6 diff?

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Hi there everyone,
As the title suggests I want to know is it possible to put 3.27 gears into a VT diff?

Thanks for any help.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Ah there was a thread about this somewhere not long ago, ill try find it.

.. Been searching a while and cant find it, way too many results come up.

It was all about what can be changed to what. Ill keep looking but literary 100s and 100s of posts to look though.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/v6-development-modification/71234-diff-all-you-need-know.html

For those interested in other diff ratios for the BW78, the Nissan R31 Skyline and Pintara also used the BW78, these were fitted with 3.73 (manual and very rare) and 3.89 and 4.11:1 other ratio's also available are 3.27 (VP GTS). ford also used the BW78, i'm certain that the XD and XF falcons had the BW78 but not certain what ratio's were used. i've heard 3.23:1

VT series 2 onwards they fitted the BW80 diff, which has a larger crown wheel and pinion, and also different ratios. Parts from these are not interchangeable with the earlier BW78.

VT s1 BW 78, 4-spider center, 28spline axles, 3.08:1 open and LSD (same as VN-VS)

--

Looks like you can use the centre from R31 Skyline, Pintara, XD-XF Falcon, 3.27 appears to be from a VP GTS and I'm not sure what else, probably hard to find if they were the only cars produced with them.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Thanks for your help mate, I really appreciate it.
I have a person on ebay selling some 3.23 gears right now, they specify that a VT s1 will be able to have that ratio put in, BUT WE ALL KNOW WHAT EBAY IS LIKE lol!
I've had a few beers so bare with me, do you think they will fit??

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Pretty sure it will fit, just confirm with him thats its a BW78 and not a BW80.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
why not go to something like 3.45? for the price of gears and labour it probably wont be worth it going from 3.08 to 3.23

Because I do a fair bit of driving at 100KM/H I want it to retain fairly good fuel economy!
Don't worry though I will be looking into which ratio will be better.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
3.45 ratio is still pretty good for cruising. I do pretty much dead on 2000rpm at 100km/h, thats an auto with 3.45 ratio.