Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[202] 3.3 problem - no power

mike4wd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Wagon on Rodeo chassis
Hi - newbie here, both to Commodores and this forum. No idea if this is the right area to post in... fingers crossed.

I bought a VK Commodore recently, with a fairly tired looking 202. It was missing a bit, but ran really well under power, was a lot of fun to drive. Today, when I stopped at lights, it stalled when I tried to move off. It started OK, but wouldn't even develop enough power to move the car. Anything more than idling was pretty much a no go. Eventually I managed to get the revs up, and bounced it across the intersection, and it ran a tiny bit better; well enough to limp to the panel shop I was taking it to (about 1km further). Now I can sort of move it, but only by getting the revs up high and dropping the clutch.

More info:
- 1986 VK Commodore
- Rodeo 4wd chassis
- Stock 202, no smoke, oil leaks everywhere
- 4 speed manual
- Off the road for 10 years before I bought it
- Drove fine for a few days

Any hints? The car is at the paint and panel place now, so I can't fiddle with it, but they'll be annoyed if they can't move it easily, so I might have to go back and see what I can do, or even take it away again. I don't want to do that, I want it tidied up!

394970524.jpg

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Air/vacuum leak?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Dirty filters and plugs are another easy check.
Also check timing and spark colour while your there.
Is the 202 carb or injected?
Carby could do with a tune also.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Change the ignition module before you bother trying anything else.

Depending on the dizzy fitted....If it's the original black motor dizzy, the module will be located at the back of the block bolted to the head....If's the blue motor dizzy, the module will be located at the side of the dizzy.

So really we need to know from the OP, whether it's injected and if it has a square piece hanging off the side of the dizzy, with 2 wires coming from it.

That being said, I do agree with you as it being the cause

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
if it has a varajet on it have a look at the filter where the fuel line goes into the carby

Macca97

Reaction score
Members Ride
75 HJ Ute, VR V8 Executive, VS V6 S3 Ute
check timing, 6's sometimes like to turn the dizzy themselves, also make sure the balancer hasnt turned as you will get a false reading on the timing mark