Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3.6 SIDI tapping after oil change

adclawrence

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Calais 3.6
So my dad's SV6 was quite overdue for an oil change. Last done at 45,000 or so and it's hit 82,000 today. So very, very overdue.

I went ahead and changed it all today with Nulon 5w30 fully synthetic and the car runs great. After a 10 minute drive around the suburb I pulled back up and noticed it's got a constant tapping sound from the engine. Maybe a lifter, but not entirely sure. It's a bit inconsistent, taps a bit different each time.

Has this been a common thing for anyone from long overdue oil changes? And is there anything to be worried about.

Cheers.

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
Did it sit there for a while before driving it? Mine wasn't touched for a week or 2 and it tapped away, only lasted the trip.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Running a SIDI for that long without an oil change is bound to cause problems.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
How many litres of oil did you put in?
How did the old filter look?
I wouldn't panic just yet you had to change it, no choice. The new oil has probably loosened off a piece of crud that's now lodged somewhere. Hopefully it goes away.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
So my dad's SV6 was quite overdue for an oil change. Last done at 45,000 or so and it's hit 82,000 today. So very, very overdue.

I went ahead and changed it all today with Nulon 5w30 fully synthetic and the car runs great. After a 10 minute drive around the suburb I pulled back up and noticed it's got a constant tapping sound from the engine. Maybe a lifter, but not entirely sure. It's a bit inconsistent, taps a bit different each time.

Has this been a common thing for anyone from long overdue oil changes? And is there anything to be worried about.

Cheers.

so it was 37000 KM between services ? , I think I see the problem right there , you may try servicing it again , and hoping for the best , SiDi engines need regular services , I'd go 7500-10000, and no more . Good luck .

voodooss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Ute
You will need a couple of oil changes in the next 10000km as sludge will be dislodged and caused oil pick up blockages. May be worth dropping the sump and removing the rocker covers to manually remove any sludge.

Listen close to the tapping to be sure it doesn't get worse.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8 & LX6
Also a bottle of Slick 50 additive works wonders at ungumming lifters

car_driver

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Did you use an oil flush before you dropped the old oil? Worth doing but remember not to drive it while the flush is in as it will ruin the motor. Leave it idling for 30 mins or whatever the bottle recommends.