Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3.6 VZ fault code/ecu troubles

Gibbo70

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 VX
Hi all,
I have an 04 VZ that's giving me grief. It idles ok for a few minutes, then has a cough, then idles ok again (repeats over n over again). It drives like it's only running on 5 cylinders and lacks power badly. Also has 'check powertrain' warning on dash with associated beeping.
Had a scan done, (attachment 1), which led me to sending the ecu, bcm, pim and key to Injectronics in Vic. They sent it back, along with a test ecu, saying they could not find a fault with the original ecu. If the test unit fixed the problem, end of story. If not, send it all back, and they will remanufacture the lot. $580 if problem fixed, $630 if remanufacture is required. Reinstalled all the modules and it still runs up to ****. Had a second scan done, (attachment 2), same issues that showed up first time round.
Thought I'd ask for some advice/help here before boxing all the modules back up and sending them off again.
1st scan.jpeg

Attachments

• 2nd scan.jpg resized.jpg
    2nd scan.jpg resized.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
It needs an oil pressure switch but that wont cause it to run rough.

Looking at the codes nothing stands out, it may be a mechanical issue rather than a module issue. Could also be a failed throttle body though they normally throw codes. Might be time for a compression test.

Gibbo70

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 VX
Thanks RiCeY
Funny you should say "throttle body", when it has it's little cough splutter episodes at idle, a 'ticka ticka ticka' sound comes from there. Sounds/feels like it comes from the unit the wiring goes to on the left side of the throttle body just next to the ecu.
I already have a new oil pressure switch, just haven't a ring spanner or deep socket to fit it :)
I don't have a compression tester, so I'll have to get the local mechanic to do the test for me. Is it necessary to remove the inlet manifold to do it ?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Look inside the throttle body as excess carbon buildup can cause the throttle plate to jam. Clean it out and if it still makes the ticking noise it's usually time for a new throttle body.

Yeah manifold has to come off or at least be raised to remove spark plugs. Just leave the front most pass side bolt and rear most driver side bolts tight so the manifold doesn't separate and ruin the gasket.

waly5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore
Hi all,
I have an 04 VZ that's giving me grief. It idles ok for a few minutes, then has a cough, then idles ok again (repeats over n over again). It drives like it's only running on 5 cylinders and lacks power badly. Also has 'check powertrain' warning on dash with associated beeping.
Had a scan done, (attachment 1), which led me to sending the ecu, bcm, pim and key to Injectronics in Vic. They sent it back, along with a test ecu, saying they could not find a fault with the original ecu. If the test unit fixed the problem, end of story. If not, send it all back, and they will remanufacture the lot. $580 if problem fixed, $630 if remanufacture is required. Reinstalled all the modules and it still runs up to ****. Had a second scan done, (attachment 2), same issues that showed up first time round.
Thought I'd ask for some advice/help here before boxing all the modules back up and sending them off again.View attachment 190034
how did you go woith your problem? Mine has a few fault codes the same as yours. If you sorted it out what parts did you find failed? cheers.