Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3.6l VZ allotec starter motor removal, the easy way.

kevwal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ tray back 175 alloytec
Hi guys,
I have been a regular READER of JC for some years now, taking in all the good advice, but since buying my one tonner a year ago, have been confused with some of the advice for working on the motor. It is a 3.6l V6 alloytec 175, 2005. Hence this post. Read several threads regarding removal of starter motors from the VZ and they all seemed a bit daunting for a DYI effort. I have just experienced the dreaded click,click, click, start episode. Checked the battery, sitting, 12.6V, all good. Logic said it had to be the solenoid, either sticking, on its way out or leads starting to corrode and thereby losing enough surface area to allow the kick necessary to move the starter. So here goes with my 2 cents worth.
First, as always, disconnect the battery. NOW, before leaving the interior of the bonnet, remove the heat shield from the starter motor. Squirt the screw with WD40 or equivalent. You will need a torx T25 bit to remove the screw. I found using a small extension on the rachet gave the leverage needed to budge it. The shield clips on over the solenoid, so a little effort may be needed to pry it up and wiggle it free. Trust me, this is the bit that saves you much frustration later.
Now, put the front end on stands, removing the front left wheel in the process. There are some VERY good threads in this forum telling you how to do this.
The two(2) bolts holding the starter motor can now be removed. I used an 11mm spanner after spraying the bolts with some WD40. With the heat shield removed, access to these bolts is fine for the spanner. Once the two(2) bolts have been removed, go back upstairs to the interior.
Some minor wiggling is involved to remove the starter motor, with the leads still attached. Once free of its housing, undo the leads, one needs a 13mm spanner, the other is a clip on. Once the leads are removed, it is very easy to lift the starter out. No need to remove exhaust system, steering rack etc.
Fitting was in reverse order. Place the starter motor, from the interior of the bonnet, down near the housing, refit the leads, refit the starter to the housing. Downstairs to refit the two(2) bolts. Fit the wheel and remove the car stands. Refit the heat shield. Connect the battery and Bob's your uncle.
Hope this may help someone in the future.

Reaction score
Website
markrivett91.wix.com
Members Ride
Vz Berlina Wagon, Rodeo 4x4 Dualcab, Vt Berlina
thanks mate this helped heaps after reading about pulling exhaust & rack off this was a breath of fresh air.

Kokentoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Holden VZ Storm Ute
Just did this. Was pretty straightforward, just inconvenient trying to get to the starter motor itself. At least it won't have to be changed for a long time. Cheers for the write up.

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
great advice. sometimes these things just need a bit of thinking and having a go.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
just did this with son, his was an 04 VZ it has heat shield on the exhaust (not on starter), don't need to remove, couldn't get a genuine starter so got an aftermarket, they seem to be about 5mm max longer so you need to just reshape the heatshield in one corner (slight tap with ballpein hammer) to allow for it to tilt a bit more to get in, otherwise all is the same as kevwal described,

guitarfish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
just did this with son, his was an 04 VZ it has heat shield on the exhaust (not on starter), don't need to remove, couldn't get a genuine starter so got an aftermarket, they seem to be about 5mm max longer so you need to just reshape the heatshield in one corner (slight tap with ballpein hammer) to allow for it to tilt a bit more to get in, otherwise all is the same as kevwal described,

Just did this myself. There was no way the starter motor was coming out without removing the exhaust heat shield. Three small bolts. Luckily I had a ratchet which you can angle the head with, otherwise the bottom heat shield bolt would have been a tit.

royinthegreyshirt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs dunga ute
I think I might need to do replace the starter motor, but I have pacemaker extractors. Does this make it harder or easier?

Darkwolf

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 V6 Calais
Great write up made it a very simple job, I was even able to do the whole job without lifting to car off the ground.