Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3.6l VZ allotec starter motor removal, the easy way.

Adza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ ute
Hi ALL
Ive just done the starter motor on my vz v6 ute. I read Kevwal's post about the removal procedure. Taking the starter motor out didn't require me to take the front left wheel off. It was a basic 15min procedure with old one out and new one in. Yes take heat shield off with the torx 25mm bit with extension. Then use a 11mm ring spanner to undo the 2 bolts that holds the starter in from the top of the left hand side of the car. One bolt is located at 1 o'clock and the other at 6 o'clock. then the starter should come out if you pull it toward the front of the car up and then pull it back towards the firewall to access the clip and 13mm nut. Then reverse the process to put the new one in.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Hi ALL
Ive just done the starter motor on my vz v6 ute. I read Kevwal's post about the removal procedure. Taking the starter motor out didn't require me to take the front left wheel off. It was a basic 15min procedure with old one out and new one in. Yes take heat shield off with the torx 25mm bit with extension. Then use a 11mm ring spanner to undo the 2 bolts that holds the starter in from the top of the left hand side of the car. One bolt is located at 1 o'clock and the other at 6 o'clock. then the starter should come out if you pull it toward the front of the car up and then pull it back towards the firewall to access the clip and 13mm nut. Then reverse the process to put the new one in.

Yea, must agree, no need to get under car with wheels off, all done from under bonnet. Disconnect battery with key removed first.
Just did the Wife's VZ today and I used a T25 torque bit to remove the screw holding the metal clip on heat shield cover on the starter, and a T30 torque bit for the alloy cover on the exhaust.
All easy with a 1/4" drive ratchet with 80mm extension.
I used a 12mm socket on a 3/8" ratchet handle for the starter torque bolt under the starter for more leverage.
Rest was as adza says.
Took my 68 year old fingers bit over 30 minutes, mind you I had a knee replacement 4 weeks ago.

EDIT... I wrote the above in reply March 2015 and it is now January 25 th, 2023 and I have just had to do my own VZ V6 starter and nothing has changed, same procedure over the mudguard, absolutely no need to get under the car or remove wheels or exhaust as I have seen recommended in a you tube vid.

Only thing different was the new starter did not have the screw hole for the heat shield over the starter so no problems, the clamp on the heat shield holds it fine, just line it up where the hole/screw would normally go.

LOL, actually in the past 7 years there HAVE been changes,
I am coming up to 75 and I now have both knees replaced, and one hip replaced as well as a new (pigs) heart valve and a pacemaker thanks to some good surgeons performing open heart surgery,
so if I can do it over the mudguard with this extra hardware so can you.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
This turned out to be a great thread.

When I disconnected the earth wire from the starter, there's a plastic cover over the terminal and it was so brittle, it fell apart in my fingers.
Any suggestions on how to repair this?

I was thinking heat shrink over it?
Will that be any good so close to the manifold?

*I got my starter out and found a local guy who reconditions starters and alternators with some degree of care and passion.
He was adamant that the cheap new imports are not as good.
Anyway the guy was Solutions Auto Electrics in Malaga.
Good guy.

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
I'm having trouble putting the starter motor back in. I took it out with a wiigle from the engine bay up top but can't seem to get the head in the hole.

Update: it was the worst job I have ever tried to do but it's done.

No need to lift the car or remove anything

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The heat shrink seems to have held up ok so far.
I can get my phone in to get a photo down there from the front below the power steering reservoir looking behind the heat shield.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm having trouble putting the starter motor back in. I took it out with a wiigle from the engine bay up top but can't seem to get the head in the hole.

Update: it was the worst job I have ever tried to do but it's done.

No need to lift the car or remove anything
Aside of some of that sounding like a snippet from Mighty Car mods, it's possible the cog wasn't lined up with the flywheel?

It's a pain in the arse job but not to the point of getting someone else to do it.
Well done for having a go.

Ric0811

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Just like to say thank you to you all!
I managed to change the starter motor successfully... it only cost me $83.00 dollars for the part from ebay vs the $600.00 quoted by a couple of mechanics.
Next will be the power steering hose!!!!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Just like to say thank you to you all!
I managed to change the starter motor successfully... it only cost me $83.00 dollars for the part from ebay vs the $600.00 quoted by a couple of mechanics.
Next will be the power steering hose!!!!
83 dollars for what part mate? A second hand starter ?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
There are cheap imported starter motors available new for that sort of price.
I went for a recon starter for about that. (has a faulty solenoid-no surprises there)

redsnake

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive 3.8
Hi guys,
I have been a regular READER of JC for some years now, taking in all the good advice, but since buying my one tonner a year ago, have been confused with some of the advice for working on the motor. It is a 3.6l V6 alloytec 175, 2005. Hence this post. Read several threads regarding removal of starter motors from the VZ and they all seemed a bit daunting for a DYI effort. I have just experienced the dreaded click,click, click, start episode. Checked the battery, sitting, 12.6V, all good. Logic said it had to be the solenoid, either sticking, on its way out or leads starting to corrode and thereby losing enough surface area to allow the kick necessary to move the starter. So here goes with my 2 cents worth.
First, as always, disconnect the battery. NOW, before leaving the interior of the bonnet, remove the heat shield from the starter motor. Squirt the screw with WD40 or equivalent. You will need a torx T25 bit to remove the screw. I found using a small extension on the rachet gave the leverage needed to budge it. The shield clips on over the solenoid, so a little effort may be needed to pry it up and wiggle it free. Trust me, this is the bit that saves you much frustration later.
Now, put the front end on stands, removing the front left wheel in the process. There are some VERY good threads in this forum telling you how to do this.
The two(2) bolts holding the starter motor can now be removed. I used an 11mm spanner after spraying the bolts with some WD40. With the heat shield removed, access to these bolts is fine for the spanner. Once the two(2) bolts have been removed, go back upstairs to the interior.
Some minor wiggling is involved to remove the starter motor, with the leads still attached. Once free of its housing, undo the leads, one needs a 13mm spanner, the other is a clip on. Once the leads are removed, it is very easy to lift the starter out. No need to remove exhaust system, steering rack etc.
Fitting was in reverse order. Place the starter motor, from the interior of the bonnet, down near the housing, refit the leads, refit the starter to the housing. Downstairs to refit the two(2) bolts. Fit the wheel and remove the car stands. Refit the heat shield. Connect the battery and Bob's your uncle.
Hope this may help someone in the future.
good write up but should be aware the mounting bolts( at least on my vz) are torx.