Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3/8 aluminium fuel line

MAHOOVKV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais EFI 6 now vp 5.0l and t700
I am in the process of puttin a hot 202 with triple 45 webers and full manual tri matic in a lc torana and i was ringing around for 3/8 bundy line and efi hardware in nunawading sell aluminium line, i have never heard of anything other than steel or brass line, Is this line ok for legalities and is it safe to use because its not as strong as steel line? Also this shop uses it for all there efi setups and SAY THEY have had no problems.

Last edited:

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Personally i dont think a hot 202 especially running a carbie setup is going to use more fuel than the factory line can supply. a low pressure electric fuel pump could help.

So in essence upgrading your fuel line is a waste of money.

I dont see an issue using alloy line if it has decent wall thickness

MAHOOVKV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
The carbies on full throttle with my set up will use roughly 70 gallons an hour, the pump i have pumps 100 gallons a hour and thats alot to pump thru 5/16 fuel line.
The aluminium line wall does not look very thick, i'm worried the line will crack when i bend it.

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
Personally i dont think a hot 202 especially running a carbie setup is going to use more fuel than the factory line can supply. a low pressure electric fuel pump could help.

So in essence upgrading your fuel line is a waste of money.

Ding Ding, wrong :D

3/8 wont be enough if you intend to rev it hard.
EFI is under 300 PSI pressure, different kettle of fish compared to 5 pounds pressure.
You need large diameter fuel hose and it also acts as a resivour.

With my old setup running 45DCOE webers i use to run 1/2 inch inside diameter 5/8 outer roughly fibreglass re-enforced Fuel hose.
Same as this stuff.

non%20toxic%20rinforced%20marine%20hose.jpg

Screw it into chasis rails with these under car

MountingBracket.jpg

These are easier to use as they chasis rails are not real tall.
Mount it to the side of the rail not the bottom where it can get crushed, lol

8129.jpg

You will need a hole punch to go thru the boot as its best to mount a Holley Blue fuel pump in the boot.
Use special plastic grommets thru the floor of the boot, they need to be strong as to stop and sharp edges rubbing thru the hose.

You would also need to drill a hole in your fuel tank and silver solder a brass tube into it that ends up down the back end of the bottom of the tank for a fuel pickup as the stock pickup will not flow enough either.

Webers do have there own internal fuel guaze filters but i reccomend a morros fuel filter inline between the tank and the fuel pump.

Sorry dont have any picture of my boot setup but here is one of the Webers in the bay, good old days.
This thing could run 12.7 all day down the quarter mile even with a big heavy 9 inch diff in the rear.

GTR3.jpg

Last edited:

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont

3/8 wont be enough if you intend to rev it hard.
EFI is under 300 PSI pressure, different kettle of fish compared to 5 pounds pressure.
You need large diameter fuel hose and it also acts as a resivour.

I might have been wrong but so are you, 300psi ???? come on, thats 20bar of pressure most modern EFI petrol cars run 3 bar whcih is 45psi . I never said i was right i just expressed my opinion

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
He He all good, you get the jist of it :D

MAHOOVKV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenReaper i like your old lc torana, Tate automotive are doin the carb tuning for me and he said to use 3/8 fuel line (bundy line) and a 100gph carter fuel pump upto a holley red regulator then the fuel block then 5/16 line to each carby. This is right setup for his car that did 12.7 down the quarter with a trimatic.

I ended up returning the aluminium line got some steel line ALL GOOD.

HIROLLA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII CAPRICE
i make 320rwkw's and still use the factory 5/16 hose so unless your going spastic your fuel lines will be fine

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
um, has anyone mentioned that electrolosis will quite possibly chew through alloy pipes? i had a small alloy fitting on my heater hose that i didnt earth (didnt think it needed it) then one day it just strated spraying coolant everywhere.

if you choose alloy pipes, then make sure you earth it, and earth it good. the last thing you want it spraying petrol in a fine mist near your exhaust.