Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3.8 into my VL project

V

VL_WAGON

Hi, I've had heaps of VL's and i've always planned on doing one up im keen on putting the V6 in my 1987 wagon. ive got a serries II 3.8 V6 and manual T5 gearbox both in good condition the car is already lowered and has mags im happy with, I also have a pop up light front off a Calais. Im planning on redoing the interior and striping the whole car to bare metal with a candy apple blue going on. Just after some tips and tricks any advice or idea's would be great.

madsav

Reaction score
Members Ride
your ass
if your gonna put a v6 in it,(witch ive always wante to see)
you have to change the wiring harness and computer.
also the big work consist of droping the crossmember and putting a vnor vpone in,(the bolt holes are all the same)also the little metal rods on the ends of the frount sway bar need tobe off of a vn as well.
you might also want to look into changing the rear brakes from drum to disc.
well thats a few ideas for you anyway
keep us up to date with how you go with it

V

vlrad

I drove a V6 the other day and they feel like my RB with a miss.

If you are going to play around then a 4 litre sourer motor rated at 206fwkw would be awesome - change in chip and I think they are 230fwkw - don't hold me to these numbers I used to read zoom on sundays with a few VBs and allways was impressed by numbers stated in zoon for the toyota 4litre plant - especially the torque numbers -they leave a stock0 chev 5litre for dust - that was 4 years ago before gen 3 become common - I'm not a mechanic just a keen reader of car mags and a backyard tinker so someone like the bloke that has a V6Vl has done the work and tried the V6.

How do the V6 toyota vienta motors compare with 3.8V6 - I'm not pro toyota it is just that the nissian motor stocko in the VL outperformed chev's 202 at the time for years.

There is a V6 VL with a castemain kit for sale in related forum - so you could PM this bloke direct

V

VL_WAGON

I want bolt in power if I had money burning a hole in my pocket maybe a 4 litre sourer motor rated at 206fwkw would be an option, I have already upgraded the rear drums to disc out of a VN, I have to wiring loom and computer for the V6. The biggest job to me looked like changing the pedal box to suit the old-fashioned cable clutch for the T5 gearbox; also I want harder front shocks and spring to allow for the extra weight and the front brakes don’t need to be upgraded but I like to be able to stop well so I want look into them as well and then there is the diff ratio and lack of LSD I don’t want it to be over geared like it is in the VN’s 1800 RPM at 100km/h is silly but the ratio in it at the mo will have it at 2500 RPM at 100km/h and that’s a little high for this American dinosaur.

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
VL_WAGON said:
I want bolt in power if I had money burning a hole in my pocket maybe a 4 litre sourer motor rated at 206fwkw would be an option, I have already upgraded the rear drums to disc out of a VN, I have to wiring loom and computer for the V6. The biggest job to me looked like changing the pedal box to suit the old-fashioned cable clutch for the T5 gearbox; also I want harder front shocks and spring to allow for the extra weight and the front brakes don’t need to be upgraded but I like to be able to stop well so I want look into them as well and then there is the diff ratio and lack of LSD I don’t want it to be over geared like it is in the VN’s 1800 RPM at 100km/h is silly but the ratio in it at the mo will have it at 2500 RPM at 100km/h and that’s a little high for this American dinosaur.

Why not an RB20 or RB25?

V

VL_WAGON

Because rb20det or rb25det is to $$$$$$$ I have a buick V6 and gear box already. It will blow away any RB30 RB20 or RB25 unless they are turbo I know this to be so because a good mate of mine has a manual VN commy and it completly owns my VL RB30 manual. The buick motor is a ruff running bumbling engine compared to the nissan but so much torque, VN weighs in at just over 1500kg my wagon is 1350kg plus ill have the RB30 diff ratio for even for pickup cause the VN is way to over geared.

V

VL_WAGON

Here's a few pics

Just took a few quick pics this is what ive got to start with can't wait to rip it apart

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 321
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 294
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 315
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 299
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 317

Holdenstylez

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl, vy
Im building a vl with manual turboed v6 buick in it, jst used vn k frame n gearbox mount tht came wif it, hav put vs lsd rear in in on super lows and air shocks- may hav to roll the inner lip yet.
Only problem im having is i dnt knw how to wire the vn engine loom into the vl wiring to make it run :(