Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3.8 V6 Fuel Economy Improvements Bang for Buck

Hertz Donut

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beastmode VS Equipe
Oh right, late night forum browsing ftl. My bad.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
There great on fuel just stock standard.

VR 60

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
I have a 2002 VY V6 and I am interested in how to improve the fuel economy. I don't want to do a Gas Conversion since I may not keep the car long enough to make back the investment. What about chips, exhausts etc ???

VR 60

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
Hi Guys, I have VR statesman with a 3.8 Buick v6 . My fuel economy is 18 l per 100km ,way too much . The motor has 296 on the odometer. Could the oxygen sensor be faulty and cause this spike in fuel consumption? Cheers

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hi Guys, I have VR statesman with a 3.8 Buick v6 . My fuel economy is 18 l per 100km ,way too much . The motor has 296 on the odometer. Could the oxygen sensor be faulty and cause this spike in fuel consumption? Cheers
yep need new O2 sensor to start with. New plugs and air filter will help too if reasonably old.

VR 60

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
yep need new O2 sensor to start with. New plugs and air filter will help too if reasonably old.
Thank you, I did think the 02 sensor could be the issue ,can all the plugs be removed without removing everything like a Mitsubishi V6 ? I have looked after the car with non smelly fish oil everywhere and have oil changed and filter every 5k's .i use Moreys oil additive and Moreys fuel/injector treatment, using 91 fuel. It's a 94 VR. Do you know what would be a good sensor you'd reccomend ? Cheers

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
They use Delphi from factory. Delphi will be plug and play no splicing. Plugs are easy enough. The rear most right needs a short ext to make it easier to remove.

VR 60

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
They use Delphi from factory. Delphi will be plug and play no splicing. Plugs are easy enough. The rear most right needs a short ext to make it easier to remove.

VR 60

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
Thanks so much Losh,havent checked out plugs yet. Are the oxygen sensors easy to change? I'm not sure how many pins mine has yet and I know they're all different.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah not sure if Stato uses a standard 4 wire like Exec? Regardless if you buy Delphi it won't matter as it will plug straight in, as Delphi come with the plug. Whereas some other brands do not.
Easy to replace but they can be seized in and the rust makes fitting the new one a pain at times. I had the Y pipe off and sandblasted inside the weld nut, so the new one went in no issues at all.