Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3.8L coolant draining problem

benjenormous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6L VR Berlina
I am trying to drain the water/coolant from my engine I have removed the 2 drain plugs on either side of the block but nothing came out. There is water up to the thermostat as I have removed that and I can see it in there.

Anyone have any ideas what I have to do to get the water to drain? I read somewhere to set the heater all the way on but the car has climate control so no levers.

Any help please would be appreciated, thanks

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
They (the block drain plugs) are prob blocked try sticking a bit of wire in there or blow some low pressure air into them

adam10_1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S2 Ute Manual
If its got oil in it still, disconnect your top and bottom hose and start the car, after maybe 30 secs of the car running all the water should be out. Just as another option anyway

This will not damage your engine, its only idling and not heating up as long as you dont run it too long.

BadDad62

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS Gen3 UTE
They (the block drain plugs) are prob blocked try sticking a bit of wire in there or blow some low pressure air into them

If its got oil in it still, disconnect your top and bottom hose and start the car, after maybe 30 secs of the car running all the water should be out. Just as another option anyway

This will not damage your engine, its only idling and not heating up as long as you dont run it too long.

Still wont pump all the coolant out :cry: As "Wozza" said the holes a blocked and need something to clear them :spot on: