Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3.8L Holden VY Rebuild. help please!

azkish

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L V6 VY Commodore
Afternoon everyone,

Recently decided to rebuild and add some modifications to my 03 VY.
There's a whole list of things that I am planning for it, and i decided to get some opinions for everybody who is interested on the forums.
Please feel free to add something in, or let me know how you would go about to change a part of the car. I am currently on my GREEN P's, and will most likely keep the car until I am on my open licence/ probably will never sell it.
Im just going to write down what needs to be done, prices, and what style of changes will be made. Let me know if theres a cheap alternative thats decent instead of paying for OEM price's (as we all know what holden service stores are like)

Current List -
Front bumper - VY SS ($100)
Left quarter panel - $50 (has a dint in it)
Bumper Foglights - $100 (planning on getting yellow proper foglights)
New steering wheel (standard VY - $120)
Spoiler - VY SS style (also bootlid) $120
Headlights - VY SS $100
Tail Lights - VY SS $100
VY Side mirrors $40/each
Front bumper reinforcement bar $80
complete new interior $300

DOES anybody else have any ideas on what i can include or change for engine modifications. There isnt much i can do with my green P's to make it legal, except maybe air intake ss growler etc, and exhausts. Any opinions?

I was planning on stripping the insides completely in regards to seats and back seats, and only leaving the drivers seat in, seeing as i usually only drive by myself or with the gf. Does any body know if this is ILLEGAL?

Anyway, the whole outside paintwork of the car needs to be resprayed/sanded/ etc.
Any ideas as to what color scheme i should go for?
i was thinking metallic black with black wheels, which will complement the yellow foglights and callipers nicely.
However, considering it will be a home job paint job.. should i go for a color that isnt OEM?

As for painting experience, i've painted a VT before, and it turned out fine.

any thoughts would be appreciated! :idea3:

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Is say stripping the seats out would against the law because of stuff coming from the boot in a crash..

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Type VSB14 into google and have a read.
As long as the rear seats/seat belts have been removed & the holes where the seat belts used to go are blocked up, you can register a vehicle without the rear seats. Have a read of VSB14 for full information.

benny_bones

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY Series 2 Wagon
Well for anything ecotec performance you can probably get mace cai and mace roller rockers, change the diff to an LSD with a higher ratio all things that cops either won't notice or care about just keep it relatively stock on the outside and you won't have a problem, there's also mace manifold spacers which can be installed pretty easy, so few things to think about, I wouldn't worry about removing the seats