Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3.8L swap into a 1990 Holden Rodeo

Sdavi388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore, 3.8L Auto
Is it possible to swap a 3.8L Ecotec motor form a VX into a 1990 single cab Holden Rodeo? If so can I get suggestions on how to make the swap as easy as possible?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Probably just easiest to use the V6 Conversions kit:
RODEO / JACKAROO 4X4 | V6Conversions
RODEO 2WD | V6Conversions

Don't bother with the BCM simulator, just get a no-VATS memcal/tune for the ECU.

Would strongly suggest you speak to an automotive engineer before you commit if you want it to be legit and road worthy.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Try and find early ECU. Trying to make post VP with PCM makes things a fair bit trickier. If going manual not an issue but if wanting auto then pre VR trans will be easier. Should be able to make Eco work on VN/VP ECU but will need custom tune Memcal and also may need custom harness. I don't know if early harness will connect to Eco without altering cable lengths and plugs. Someone else would know.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Try and find early ECU. Trying to make post VP with PCM makes things a fair bit trickier. If going manual not an issue but if wanting auto then pre VR trans will be easier. Should be able to make Eco work on VN/VP ECU but will need custom tune Memcal and also may need custom harness. I don't know if early harness will connect to Eco without altering cable lengths and plugs. Someone else would know.

Why wouldn't you just use the VX ECU and trans?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thought VX run PCM? Do they have separate TCM?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Ah yeah, they don't have a memcal. Just get a VT or VS ECU and loom.

Getting another driveline would be easier/cheaper than doing what you suggest with a TH700 though.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
VT or VS PCM will be looking for input from trans. I'd be using VN or VP ECU and using cable trans not electronic. I think work wise it will be simpler less cabling to be concerned with.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Is it possible to swap a 3.8L Ecotec motor form a VX into a 1990 single cab Holden Rodeo? If so can I get suggestions on how to make the swap as easy as possible?
Yes you can, as suggested by RKJ consult an engineer/workshop for mod plates requirements for sound and emissions etc.
VX uses a BCM for body/security and other features like a/c and thermo fan so probably best to get whole complete motor/trans /complete loom/exhaust catalytic convertor/PCM/BCM from the same car and incorporate into hilux, along with a remade tailshaft to suit trans and sorting out your speedo whether going auto/manual.

Sdavi388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore, 3.8L Auto
Okay, awesome, I should’ve added in the original question, this is only going to be a a farm Ute, so it’s never leaving property, so I’m not too worried about being roadworthy or anything like that more so just made to work and run, so whatever is the easiest way to get it to start and run would be great. But thank you for the comments on how to do it all, it’s really helpful