Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3 bad sounds on my VX, have a listen, what are they?

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Hi, just wondering if anyone can confirm what these noises are and what needs doing to remedy/repair?
Car is a 2002 VX Series 2 Executive Auto.

Cheers.

Links changed.

chatter.mp3
Happens when accelerating, only really noticeable in first gear.

shudder.mp3
Happens when counter steering at near stand still, like straightening out wheels after turning into a parking spot.

clunk.mp3
Happens when accelerating after rolling off speed/braking.

Last edited:

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
dunno probably the gearbox but the site you've uploaded the media to looks pretty dodgy to me. I'm not opening those.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
most people use youtube

Last edited:

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
As above , I would say transmission , clunking may be from diff , and i'm not willing to down load either , i'm just guessing going by the description's you gave .

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
After listening to them I still have no idea. there's too much background noise and it's poor quality recording.
take it to a mechanic or get a mate to have a listen. noises are hard ones to fix as it's really hard to pinpoint it.
iv had people saying there's a noise at the front wheels of the car n works out the tailshaft bolts that mount it to the body were only screwed on by a few turns.
If they brang it in a day later it would of been because the tailshaft dropped out and launched the car.
and don't get me started on the Ford territory.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
I changed the download links hours ago to satisfy the unwarranted concerns of the first replier, the links were fine but changed them to 4shared, just a waste of time for me in the end because of one useless reply to start it off.
If you're afraid of a website millions use every day to quick share files then better stay inside and put on a tin foil hat and grow some, or just try some internet security software, I tried uploading to this forum first but it doesn't like audio files.

Anyway, won't get very far without hearing the sounds, the auto trans was serviced by mech less than a year ago and less than 15k kms. Car has done 180k.

I can identify the problem sounds on the recordings, there's lots of engine noise but it is distinguishable if you have decent speakers or headphones, maybe not the clunk sound but it's the least important of the 3.

The chatter or what is probably more like a diff whine/squeal is what I am really focused on as it's there every time first gear is, the others I barely come across, and am guessing are slack in the diff for clunk and the shudder being pulsing in the power steering pump, possibly fixable with full synthetic fluid.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I given it a listen , and not sure , there is to much background noise , and the sound isn't the best anyway , maybe it's just me perhaps , but I still think the clunk is the diff , as for the other 2 , :unsure:

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Yeah, clunk would be diff, but it's a common problem from what I've read, but what's involved in fixing it? Has anyone had it fixed before or is everyone with the prob happily clunking around town ? Lol

The chatter sound is actually more I think a whine in the diff, if you listen carefully you can hear the car accelerating on two occasions with a higher pitched noise that changes in frequency with the acceleration and deceleration, I can hear it quite fine on recording, you just need to know what to listen for.
It's just a matter of someone having come across it before and knowing what it is and how to fix it, it will be in the auto transmission or diff, as I don't hear it in park, so it's along the drive train, just odd that it's only very noticeable in first gear and only as the revs go over 2000RPM, if it was the diff you'd expect it to do the same in every gear? So maybe it is in the transmission as I'm assuming each gear has different contact areas there, so that could be a way to eliminate the diff as the cause provided there's no other things that change per gear anywhere else along the drive train.

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Shudder is fixed in the power steering, has a new light feel to the steering wheel after putting in Nulon full synthetic multi-vehicle auto trans fluid (dex3&6) spec, impressive stuff.