Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3 inch 304 stainless catback grew on one side?

Redline Rob

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf Redline 14
Hi guys,

My VF 2014 Redline 3 inch quad tip catback was fitted a month ago. I gave it a good run on the M1 a few times since it was fitted to carbon it up and as instructed ;) and also to enjoy the car :) I noticed the drivers side tips stick out more than the left and they used to be pretty even ...not something that stands out to the naked eye unless you look carefully but the 1.5 cm discrepancy bugs me! I know that 304 expands with heat and contracts ...has this happened to anyone else? the workshop owner said he will cut the longer one and re weld but to give it a few months to stabilise the systems growth and shrinkage etc

I comes with a 10 yr warranty so I am not worried but it's a 2 hr drive from me and that does bug me ! hahah

Thanks,
Rob

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I think you will find that it was like that from the day it was fitted and you didn't notice. Manta is like that too on some cars. I don't know what it is, some stick out more, some don't. It's only about 10-15mm difference though.

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
Agree with Not an Abba Fan could be related to how it was installed. 15mm is pretty decent thermal growth over a 2.5 m exhaust from the average temperature it get to. The steel should expand then contract to somewhere around its original size if the material is of good quality free from impurities.
Do what the shop suggest and give it a short run in period then take it back but I wouldn't wait a few months. That sounds a bit to me like hoping you won't bother by then though I could be wrong

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
That's the reason I went the xforce. Rear mufflers and tips fully adjustable. I am OCD and all gaps need to be mm perfect. I didn't want to risk any other style of exhaust.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
That's the reason I went the xforce. Rear mufflers and tips fully adjustable. I am OCD and all gaps need to be mm perfect. I didn't want to risk any other style of exhaust.

LOL! First you say all exhausts are the same except the materials, the bends and the joins and the mufflers and the sound, and you bought a shitty old Xforce because of quality, then you say you have bi-modal exhausts, now you are telling us you went Xforce because of the fit...
You are a card mate :yarr: