Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3 inch Exhaust Vs. 2.5?

DAVIDC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais International S/C
Hi everybody (hi doctor nick),
Just a few questions about exhausts. I've been doing some research about them and everyone is pretty set that the 2.5 is the way to go for sound and power (although some say 2.25) or even twin 2.5's. I get why this is the case due to back pressure and exhaust flow. I have a 90' V6 with chip, tune, pacemaker extractors and a single 3 inch Redback cat back with one high flow rear muffler. My question is am I seriously losing a significant amount of power compared to if i had a 2.5?
At the end of the day i really don't care, I love the sound of it and its a V6... Standard 8 would destroy it anyway. Its just because my mate with a standard 89' VN with a 2.5 exhaust (no extractors) thinks he'll destroy me.
Thanks guys.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Its not the ideal size for a n/a 6 banger, but if you like the sound and it goes good why change? ideal would be a 2.25, but most people get 2.5 as it allows for a few mods down the track if you get excited

Defected

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline S1 Wagon
IMO 2.5 inch is more than satisfactory on a vn

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Exhaust on a V6 is more about sound than power anyway. If you like the way it sounds, keep it.

DAVIDC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais International S/C
Thanks guys, thats what i really thought. I'm really not too interested in putting anymore money into a 6 to get more "performance". I'd much rather save for a V8 : )

Oh, and the mate who thinks he'll beat me is Defected. :p