Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3 Months and a VS Acclaim to play with.

LuciusFox

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Acclaim '
Hey guys I have a VS Acclaim. It's a '96 model I think and it's my first car. The guy that had it for about 9 or so years treated pretty poorly so I'm going to get it looking nice. Here are my questions:

1. I have washed it,replaced the fluids, cleaned the interior and am currently getting replacement parts for the broken dash ad some carseat covers. Is there anything else that's basic that I should do?

2. How do I get the inside door cover thing off, I can't google it without it's name. The door unlocks remotely but won't lock so I need to get in there.

3. Do you guys reccomend anything else in general? I'll get around to doing the performance upgrades and power windows in due time but not before the easier stuff is done.

F l a k

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Exec
Welcome to the forums mate.

You could get some floor mats, ditch the mud guards, if they have them, give it a detail (as in a polish and wax).

Ok, you mean the door trim? Your best bet is to buy a workshop manual, you can get them from any parts store. Gregorys ones seem to be the go. It'll have all the info you need. But before you get stuck in, spray some teflon lube in there, mine did the same thing and that fixed it. I put it in all the locks as well and they felt much nicer.

But basically, you remove the circlip from under the window winder and pull it off (a trim removal tool helps for this job), then pull out the orange plastic part of the lock with a small flat bladed screwdriver (or the removal tool), the pull the lock and stuff out.

Pry out the cover on the armrest, unplug and pull out the mirror control. Pull out the armrest and airvents, levering from the inside of the car. After that you pry off the trim, it's held on by push pins all around the outside. That should get you close :)

And for 3 I rekon do wheels, tint, brakes and suspension before any power upgrades. But once you get there hit up MACE for some bolt on goodness. Other things are just replace whatever is worn or broken and make sure everything is mechanically good before adding anything.

LuciusFox

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Acclaim '
Thanks for the tips. I'll try the lube bit first and if that doesn't work the wrecker might have that workshop manual. I haven't done a major service, only small stuff myself like new brake pads and a water pump gasket.

Last edited:

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
CAI with a K&N High Flow Panel Filter and 2.5" exhaust. Apart from what has been suggested, just give it a major service, Oil, Oil Filter, Fuel Filter, Transmission service (Gasket, filter and oil), Drop the Diff Oil, Spark Plugs, give the throttle body a clean and also the Plenum.

F l a k

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Exec
Do a search about the MACE stuff, you'll find your answer ;) but basically spacers and a CAI. PM Steve and if you get a few things together he might be able to do a bit of a deal

LuciusFox

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Acclaim '
[ strike ]Thanks but what's a spacer? Do you mean a wheel spacer? What purpose do they serve? I googled it but they gave me mostly 'don't do it' results. [ / strike ]

EDIT: Just had a another look at the CAI and I think you meant a manifold spacer. So I'll just order them together off the site and bolt them in when they arrive. Thanks guys!

dwerbnok

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive S1
im pretty sure the mace spacer is to lengthen the intake runners to increase power/torque evenness? im not 100% sure about that one though. i have been modding my ecotec vs acclaim for a few months now and have found that a combination of polishing the intake plenum, moving the AFM closer to the engine and installing a pod filter have given me noticeable results and all up it has cost me around $40. either way i doubt you will get very much power out of an NA ecotec without spending mega dollars but if you only want to make it a little bit quicker and nicer to drive then trying to work on how the engine breathes will give you results for very little money. if you want a decent amount of power for the money look into installing a supercharged l67 engine, thats what im going to be keeping busy with over the next few months :)