Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

...............3" twin exhaust will i lose power? LS1 engine..............

Joey_21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 HBD---mmmm LS1
thinkng of getting a twin 3" into a set of extractors havent done much research so i better ask before i run out and do it. the question is im going for sound over power although i want to gain aswel will the 3" be too much im not planning on further mods like cam etc. Im guessing u wouldnt have as much back pressure therefore getting less power say to a 2.5 am i right" im not fussed if i loose a couple of KW in gain over a better exhaust note any help appreciated.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Well, it depends on what sorta sound you want. It's bext to talk to a few exhaust shops to see what they suggest or say. But also check out Youtube search for something like VY SS Exhaust. Usually people will list what they've got too and if you point out the sort of note you want we can help out :p

BTW, i probably wouldn't go the twin 3", you'll probably loose a bit of back pressure, which wont loose your kW, it will actually reduce your low end torque. Basically you want to find a balance where you lower the back pressure but not too much. If you can get the back pressure away from the pistons by using proper extractors then even better!

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
imo twin 3" without further mods like a cam will be overkill. You're best bet would be either a single 3" or a twin 2.5". Twin 3" would be very loud and you probably would loose some ponies.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
A twin 3 inch on a stocker will sound really bad, dual 2.5 is more than enough and will be loud enough also.

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
ive got mates with twin 3in on their VTII and WH LS1's which were both fairly stock other than extractors/cats and twin 3in and they sounded awesome

Joey_21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 HBD---mmmm LS1
yeh ive heard a couple of twin 3 " sounds nice but those guys were planning future mods im not il probably end up getting 2.5 with a good set of pacies or di fillipos wont somthing thats gunna grumble and roar but not overkill and il be pretty dissapointed losing liw end torque. when i put my foot down i expect to go somewhere haha loosing that will not make my exhaust note worth it.

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I
mate the twin 3inch sound awesome. ive herd them on stock cars and they sound bloody fantastic. you MAY lose a little bottom end but it wont be noticable. a tune will fix that right up anyways. if your going for just noise go the 3 inch difillipo. 2.5 inch doesnt sound anywhere near as good.

Fresh SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS+Turbo
Or you could go a sureflow exhaust (Cat Back) Costs around 680 and its a strait bolt on. This thing is like 3.5 inch and you have a choice of noise levels.

Have a look at there web site www.sureflowexhausts.com.au
Also go to the ls1 forums and look under premium sponsers you will see there thread... its like 78 pages long of good comments.

When its tax time ill be getting the loud system :yeah:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Twin 3" without doing the extractors and cats is pretty pointless. To get the most out of it you will need a cam and a tune. They sound pretty good.