Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3 Window dash upgrades to a VY Seiries II

J

Jrmcleod

If anyone can shed some light on the subject I would appreciate it.
I want to upgrade the dash in my VY series 2 exec from 1 window to 3 window. What costs are involced and problems, I dont want my local holden dealer ripping me off and from what I've read elsewhere in the forum, I need to be sure I get the correct model no and build date dash replacement. I'm thinking of going through holden direct as my car is still under warranty, I'II void my warranty if I do it myself.

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
An easy mod!

Buying new from the Holden dealer should avoid all the potential pitfalls.

My estimated cost would be about $435 for the cluster, a small charge to fit and about $25 for the Tech2 to program the cluster. All up should be about $500.

Other way is to buy second hand.

If you get the wrong cluster for your model, the fuel gauge will work back to front, and the Distance to Go will increase as you use fuel, making it useless. I have heard one unfortunate fellow who ended up in this position, and spent $400 on a new fuel sender unit and installation to fix the problem.

He ended up spending more than buying a new one from Holden all up.

The other potential issue with a used cluster is that, if you want to set the odometer correctly, it will probably cost about $150 if the clouster has passed 100 kilometres as the Tech2 cannot change it after this distance.

New will work, but costs a bit. Used will work, but will need care to avoid the pitfalls.

May you choose wisely.

Cheers.

J

Jrmcleod

Much appreciated

Thanks for the help Fekason.

Been thinking this over for a few days before I posted the query. And I thought the new dash was the smartest way to go. I was just unsure of the cost of a old dash and the installation woes versus a new dash installed by holden. I did not know about the setting up of the odometer after 100k being impossible so that makes it a forgone conclusion then that a new dash is the way for me.

Thank again.

J

Jrmcleod

Got a quote on a 3 window dash today.

$400 for the dash $45 to install. But it's the wrong dash. The three window dash is for an SS. I wanted as it turns out the 3 dsiplay dash aka "calais" dash. Thats worth $600 and about $80 to install as they have not done it at my dealer before and want to make sure they get it right, with out paying for extra parts, they expected me to let them go in blind and I would have to cough up for a dash I could not use and the cost of labour to stuff it up. Bloody jokers, I told them, "Well check with Holden, give them my VIN No and then let Holden tell you before you order one, if you can or acnnot install it") They said ok and would get back to me on installation costs and parts if required.

I'II update as the job progress.

Cheers :whistling

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
Berlina, Calais or Statesman Clusters.

Hi,

I think the dealer is having a lend of you.

$600 is more than RRP from my recollection a couple of months ago. The dealer than I prefer to use sells parts at a discount to me, which is where the $435 came from. It is a discount, but an available price.

Fitting a three window or single window is no different. Same screws, same plug. No differences. The Tech2 should be no different either, as that relates to setting the car configuration rather into the cluster, rather than setting up anything special in the cluster. The trip computer works automatically, so does not need to be set.

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
Jrmcleod said:
Got a quote on a 3 window dash today.

$400 for the dash $45 to install. But it's the wrong dash. The three window dash is for an SS.

Which ss had a three window dash?
cause i would love one.. as my last car was a berlina and i got spoilt i guess by three windows.
But if i did i guess would i loose my quicksilver ssz V8 dash.. :mad:

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV v SS

My understanding is that the SS has a single window cluster, and HSV the three window one.

Other models with the 3 window are Berlina, Calais, Statesman and Caprice. Oh and the Monaro CV8 I think.

For SS models, the Monaro one is probably the best replacement.

J

Jrmcleod

SS Style Dash

SSZ-57L said:
Which ss had a three window dash?
cause i would love one.. as my last car was a berlina and i got spoilt i guess by three windows.
But if i did i guess would i loose my quicksilver ssz V8 dash.. :mad:

The SS 3 window dash I am refering to is the standard SS dash. The lower cluster is broken up in three sections. The 3 LCD i am chasing is in the calais, berlina etc. It has an LCD in the temp gauge, one in the fuel gauge and one centre under the Tacho & Speedo, the later being in all VY commodres and various other models for that fact. Have a look in a standard Holden VY Sedan/Wagon Manual Page 1-21.

Cheers.

J

Jrmcleod

Fekason said:
Hi,

I think the dealer is having a lend of you.

Thanks for the tip. I'II quiz the bugga a bit more about the cost and so on.

Cheers.

J

Jrmcleod

Dash upgrade went well, $470 installed. Had a tech 2 performed, digital speedo is great, avg and ltr per klm work great, no probs at all.
Whilst they were at it they did the power steering recall, no shudder now in the front end and I had them fix my steering wheel volume buttons, faulty circut board. All well now.

cheers guys for the info and help. :thumbsup: