Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3 Window dash upgrades to a VY Seiries II

vy_acclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VYII Acclaim
I'm getting a new instrument cluster installed next week. Picked this little gem up on ebay, brand new. Awesome upgrade from the standard one window display found in an Acclaim... I will take a note of the prices and what not, and post the results on this forum. <picture removed>

Last edited:
J

Jrmcleod

Nice score dude. Thats a neat looking dash, mines the standard Calais dash now, but that things a rippa.

H

hsvvy05

Has anyone done a single to 3 window dash upgrade on a Series 1 VY (if a 3 window dash exists for the VY S1's - are there any pics of various genuine dash's available for the VY Series 1?).

Do Holden dealers do it? Any ideas on price - would it be around $500 that someone quoted here for a Series 2 dash retrofit?

I'm also thinking of maybe getting fog lamps put in - can these also be done my a Holden dealer (and wired into the car easily? where does the switch usualy go?) or is it too much pissing about?

Cheers

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
Not sure about genuine one but there are a few on ebay you can get. The pic shown above i saw on ebay, i think its worth about $750, and then dont forget the time needed for holden to instal and reprogram with the tech2. I wouldnt be surprised if it went up to $1000.

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Be Careful.

hsvvy05 said:
Has anyone done a single to 3 window dash upgrade on a Series 1 VY (if a 3 window dash exists for the VY S1's - are there any pics of various genuine dash's available for the VY Series 1?).

Do Holden dealers do it? Any ideas on price - would it be around $500 that someone quoted here for a Series 2 dash retrofit?

I'm also thinking of maybe getting fog lamps put in - can these also be done my a Holden dealer (and wired into the car easily? where does the switch usualy go?) or is it too much pissing about?

Cheers

The change is easy on all Commodores since the VT.

However, be very careful to get the correct cluster.

If you put a VY S2 cluster in a VY S1 (or vice versa), then the fuel guage will work backwards. You can live with that, but the DTG (distance to go) also works backwards, and is therefore totally useless.

If you put the wrong cluster in, the solution is to change to the fuel sender unit for that cluster.

I am aware of someone who bought a cluster for a good price, and then spent an additional $400 changing the fuel sender unit. In that case, it would have been cheaper to but a new cluster from Holden (around $435 I have been quoted).

Do your research before buying anything, and you should be right.

Last edited:
J

Jrmcleod

Fekason said:
The change is easy on all Commodores since the VT.

However, be very careful to get the correct cluster.

If you put a VY S2 cluster in a VY S1 (or vice versa), then the fuel guage will work backwards. You can live with that, but the DTG (distance to go) also works backwards, and is therefore totally useless.

If you put the wrong cluster in, the solution is to change to the fuel sender unti for that cluster.

I am aware of someone who bought a cluster for a good price, and then spent an additional $400 changing the fuel sender unit. In that case, it would have been cheaper to but a new cluster from Holden (around $435 I have been quoted).

Do your research before buying anything, and you should be right.

Listen to Fekason he's spot on the money, he set me right on my VY series II and I've since talk to a few people that have gone the wrong way. I suggest talking to your Holden dealer as they will get a 3 window aka Calias dash for your car by its vin no. Dash I got installed was between $430 to $500, thats dash & installation.

Cheerio
Jamie

vy_acclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VYII Acclaim
Heah all. I got the new instrument cluster installed today (picture below). Rate is $60ph + Parts + GST + Bank charges. I had half a dozen things done at the same time, so unfortunately, I could not tell you exactly how long it took. The dealership was very curious to know where I got the cluster - you normally can't get them unless you have access to the VIN Number of an official HSV. Given that, they didn't give me any grief in putting it in. Thank god for free enterprise; thankgod for eBay - lol. If I had to guess, I would say that it cost, for those that are interested, roughly $700 (purchase + installation).

x1plMlLh5OuvLX2jN_Dy-TQUAHTLf5pAyJMI8C-9qi9mkaRwnsOnD7EPEQNh4pUhV0CHGUB2gcw-VtacSo0WBPjLBPxCm-HuG1MLJR-h3rgxsERd_fyvAtiUFy1uBO2pY9UpnLtlLHsoa3L9SD0dP3GcA

pplugg

Reaction score
Website
mangacityracing.clicdev.com
Members Ride
April 2003 Holden Commodore VY1 Commodore Acclaim
hsvvy05 said:

Cheers

With the foglights the wiring should already be in the car and with the switch all they do is replace the headlight switch to one where you pull it out the foglights turn on(I know from a friends Calais)

X

XasKahn

hi guy's/gal's,

Just wondering if anyone could clarafy the reprograming of the instument clusters as i want to upgrade to the 3 window..
been looking on ebay.

but my local dealer is saying they can't be reprogramed..... i don't know much but that doesn't sound right to me.

is it possible or do i have to buy a new one?

VY I Exec

Cheers
Xas-Kahn

vy_acclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VYII Acclaim
XasKahn said:
...my local dealer is saying they can't be reprogramed...
They're right. The instrument clusters can only be programmed should the kilometers in the car they're being installed in, exceed those allready stored within the unit. If you get a new console, the dealer will have to, by law, match your kilometers to the new unit. Once that is done however, you will never be able to reset it. It sucks, but heah...