Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3 window Instrument Cluster Upgrade!?!?!

breast69au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
i want to get this 3 window cluster off ebay that i have been told that is a series one cluster, because i have a 2003 vy series 1 commodore executive. I rang holdens head office today and they couldnt help me they put me through to holden at windsor and they said that i need to stick a HSV chip in my car because the cluster would not work, then i spoke to holden at redcliffe and said that they havent done it before but it should be just putting it in and reprograming it using a tech2, but its going to take at least 2 hours to do.

THe people who have already done it to there cars can you tell me what you did to get the 3 window cluster working in your cars PLEASE!?!?!?! AND where i can get it done in brisbane who has done it before???

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Three Window Cluster Issues

Hi,

There are a number of issues involved here as far as I know.

Firstly, the big issue is getting the right cluster for your model.

If you have a VY Series 1 and the cluster is a VY Series 1, then all instruments should work OK as the Tech2 can reprogramme the cluster for all car parameters. There should be no need to change any other item in the car, i.e. no need for a HSV chip.

If you put a VYII cluster in, the fuel gauge and DTE would work backwards. This can be fixed by changing the fuel sender unit, but at significant cost. So make sure that the cluster is a Series 1.

The Tech2 should not take 2 hours, more like 20 minutes. I have heard of people getting it done for nix, and people paying for it, but always less than $100. If the cluster odometer is less than 100 km, then the Tech2 can also set the odometer to your current setting.

In general, mechanics also have access to equipment that can set the cluster, though they cannot reset the odometer. Get a quote from the dealer/s, and if too dear try ringing a couple of independent mechanics.