Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

30 Holden dealers to close dec 17

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
The thing with Ford though is that they are relying on a single product to maintain their sales figures - Ranger.
The rest of their range sells appallingly. Mustang is a flash in the pan that will eventually die off just like Monaro did.

I agree , in any case the Mustang is rubbish to drive , power is good , it's a shame it's let down by it's build quality and its ride , and the Camaro looks better I think too , with it's Commodore based chassis , it has it over the Mustang hands down . Over in NZ Holden's biggest seller is the Colorado , at my local dealer , they cannot get them in quick enough ,

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You might be right but clearly there is a market for them, just look at the number of deposits Ford took for Mustangs before a single car has landed in Aussie.

AT the end of the day there is a decent size GM/V8 fan base, you are better to try and meet some of that demand than ignore it and loose these customers to another marquee.

I'm middle aged, I have 2 almost adult aged children. Very soon I won't have the need for a 4 door saloon :D

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
There is something not right about the Mustangs sales that intrigues me.
There are currently 1,200 current model Mustangs on Carsales.com, of which 440 are listed as ‘used’
Ford are crowing about the number sold last month, but is this because of a couple of shiploads arriving, and the order backlog being on road registered within a few days ?
Anyone likely to guess what the ‘normal’ monthly sales are likely to be when the initial demand is satisfied ?
If the Camaro was available here, as of now, I doubt it would be as successful as the Mustang, as the coupe market would be fragmented.

Last edited:

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
You might be right but clearly there is a market for them, just look at the number of deposits Ford took for Mustangs before a single car has landed in Aussie.

AT the end of the day there is a decent size GM/V8 fan base, you are better to try and meet some of that demand than ignore it and loose these customers to another marquee.

I'm middle aged, I have 2 almost adult aged children. Very soon I won't have the need for a 4 door saloon :D

I see an MX5 convertible in your future.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
There is something not right about the Mustangs sales that intrigues me.
There are currently 1,200 current model Mustangs on Carsales.com, of which 440 are listed as ‘used’
Ford are crowing about the number sold last month, but is this because of a couple of shiploads arriving, and the order backlog being on road registered within a few days ?
Anyone likely to guess what the ‘normal’ monthly sales are likely to be when the initial demand is satisfied ?
If the Camaro was available here, as of now, I doubt it would be as successful as the Mustang, as the coupe market would be fragmented.

People are also opting for the Dodge Challenger over here .

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
I don't think they've all shut down. I reckon a few have seen the writing on the wall and switched to other makes.
I checked the addresses of closed dealerships on google street view. Some switched to other brands, whilst some dealers are either deserted, or the building has been re appropriated as something else. Others had very old street view images, and the dealer was still functioning - mind you these dealers were quite small, especially the ones in small 3000 person country towns. They would have had an office, a showroom big enough for one car, a workshop the size of a double garage and an extensive selection of used cars (which is probably where they made all their money...). May have possibly even been a sole-trader setup.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
AS long as you'll rip the seats out for me and have it signed off ;)

Those aren't half bad either, look rather menacing in black :)

They do look good in black , the service manager at the local Holden dealer has a 300C SRT8 in black , black rims and smoked headlamp shields , it looks like a mafia staff car , mind you so does my SV6

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
The 300c looks more like a pimp car.