Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

300,000kms worth of cr*p in plenum and TB * Photo Heavy*

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
The cover is simple a case of removing the 6ish hex bolts around the top of the cover and pulling it up.
The throttle body is a little bit more involved, and I can't remember the exact steps but I figured it out yesterday without having ever done it before.

While I mention it, I cleaned all mine out yesterday as well. It was nothing even close to as bad as smokin vx's, but I had some spare time and figured it can't hurt. Havent taken it for a drive yet though

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
I don't doubt what you are saying but don't get how it is crappy oil that would do it. It used to be a monthly thing on my two stroke bike, however in a four stroke I would have thought crappy fuel and lack of servicing?

Maybe I am believing the advertising for BP ultimate too much

crappy oils that dont have many detergents and that are left in the motor for too long, go thick and hold alot of carbon and when it gets into the manifold thru the PCV, it sticks to the flat surface on the plenum....
it also attracts even more carbon and basically the longer it is there, even more carbon sticks to it

ozengines

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS Ex Chaser V8
I did my VL once and got a fright like you did.
I now have a VX SS V8 ex-chaser, what is involved in doing that to a V8??

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
crappy oils that dont have many detergents and that are left in the motor for too long, go thick and hold alot of carbon and when it gets into the manifold thru the PCV, it sticks to the flat surface on the plenum....
it also attracts even more carbon and basically the longer it is there, even more carbon sticks to it

Peanuts, it would happen with any oil you use, at the end of the day its a oil vapor settling on there, oil is not doing what its supposed to be doing in its natural form. If it was then they would allow oil to flow in here. Its only a venting of oil vapor, EGR unburnt fuel and pressure of the engine, its either going to happen in the plenum how Holden designed it to be, or it could be into your engine bay(some gets out around plenum, lower intake etc), take your pick.........