Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

300,000kms worth of cr*p in plenum and TB * Photo Heavy*

smokin_vx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Hey guys decided to clean my TB and Plenum today as for a car thats done 300,000kms ex-cop mileage i thought i should be able to get a noticeable performance gain if theres any gunk in there.

And jeez, i know for a fact that the top had never been off every in its life!!

I'll let the pictures show you what I found.

After cleaning it up with carb cleaner i noticed a huge gain in performace, immediate throttle response, kicks down gears much faster and with less throttle, the missifre has disappeared now but the stalls at start up sometimes is still there. While i was in there I also tighten / adjusted my accelerator cable as it was slightly slack.

It took me about 1 1/2 hours to do it all so pretty happy with it!

Also, i cleaned out my MAF with cleaner but didn't take it for a spin as i did that when i got back from testing the TB and Plenum.
Didnt clean out the lower plenum as I didn;t have a fuel line remover to take it off!! I'll just get back in there tomorrow when i pick up my
fuel line removal tools :) Going to change the fuel filter and get a new Fuel pressure regulator from holden aswell.

Note: All the liquid is the Carb Cleaner with dissolved crap, not engine oil etc.

plenopen.jpg

plenumtb.jpg

plentop4.jpg

tb2.jpg

tb.jpg

plenumtop3.jpg

plenumtop2.jpg

plentop1.jpg

iac.jpg

IMGP3312.jpg

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
seeedy, looks like mud

SIG-054

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y-Series Senator Signature
haha nice work :) maybe install a catch can now?

smokin_vx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
haha yeah it was more like a burnt cake in a cake tin.. it looks greasy as the carb cleaner dissolved a little. But actually another member did the same thing on here and thought i'd do the same.. didnt think it would be this bad!!

If you've got over 200,000kms i'd say it would def be worth doing it if its never been done before.. And its dead easy to.. there's really only about 15 bolts to take of 2 of which are on the TB.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Nooo!!! Don't take it off! That's where the flavour is!
....oh wait that's not your BBQ? Yeah, Ok good move :p

I did that on my VT, was pretty bad, though not as bad as yours. Have to say it did sweet FA for me, I suspect most of your gains were from cleaning the TB, not so much the plenum, but can't hurt to do both. Good job, it's nice when you can get a cheap result :)