Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

300 Hp Aspirated Ecotec ?

chook231

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 UTE
Yea, sounds like the go, the balance shaft in the ecotec dosent actually balance the bottom end as such , just to cancel out vibrations ( the ecotecs can actually rev a lot faster than stock without the extra weight of the shaft has on the rotating mass).

Yea, about the heads cracking im not 100 % sure, just heard it one of the american forums that 1.9 valves on the cast ecotec heads can crack them on a hot day b'cos of proximity of the water jackets.

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
can you tell me where to find that american site ?..

Raptorsc

RAPTR6
Reaction score
Website
www.raptorsc.com.au
Members Ride
Hilux 4.0 V6 SC 400kw
Not a hijack here ok just another point of view

I see not much mention of costs, to show another way of doing things you could have say 300HP ATW for a cost of $6k or 300Kw engine with 10psi boost.

Now how does the N/A costs to achieve this sort of horsepower compare?

I do concede that the power figues I have put in here are more than the thread starter was looking for but would like to go through the N/A cost comparison for power exercise if someone puts up all the parts and their individual cost.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
not everyone wants a whiney supercharger under the bonnet mate (plus every man and his dog already have one), and as for a price comparission, sometimes its not about what the cheapest way to get power is, its about building a tough reliable engine.
and its already been said that to get to 300hp n/a isnt cheap so its not like your bringing to light new info.
i realise your just trying to flog off some more of your s/c kits mate, but i think its only falling on deaf ears in this case, on this thread.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
slightly of topic here

i believe the humble 3.8 buick engine came out with a turbo hanging from it in the states and i've read on a american web site that these are capable of over 500hp although i do seem to remember that these may have had different cranks fitted and also serious mods to the block/ oiling systems etc

check out

www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/buick_v6_turbo_block/valvetrain_cylinder_heads.html

shows they are capable blocks though

let us now how ya get on as i'm considering building a replica group 3 VK brock powered with a s1 3.8 V6 with t5 box, hopper stopper 300mm or maybe 330mm brake upgrade to use for a targa event here in NZ but i'd like serious power otherwise i'll go back to the mighty 308:bow: