Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

300 Hp Aspirated Ecotec ?

chook231

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 UTE
Just doing a search on what it would take to build (stock bottom end ) 3.8 l v6 that makes 300 hp at the crank .

tried searching but found no results, does anone have any ideas ( obviously )heads and a cam combo ?

Like how much cfm heads flow and what size cam ??

thanks
Tim

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
what would it take?....sh*t loads of $$$.lol.
you would basically have to rebuild the engine with alot of thought put into the selection of parts....high comp pistons, h-beam rods, roller rockers, suitable cam and timing gear, alot of porting and flow matching of the heads and manifold, etc.etc...
and still be lucky to reach your goal of 300hp.
ofcourse you could change your mind about the bottom end and just stroke it....

chook231

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 UTE
hey

Hey sircrusealot,

hows the stroker going, motors just ticked over 90,000 kms.
its just been sugested to me by someone else with a stroker setup id need heads ported and big 230 @50.thou and 550 lift to make it.

Any short coming should be overcome with a tt plenum, but hopefully it dosent come to that !!.

have seen smaddock acheive 150 rwkw's with a cam and heads combo not as radical as the one mentioned above .

ive currently got 120 rwkw's on duel fuel, with just fit rockers, twin cat twin 2 1/4 exhaust with pacies and ported plenum :yeah: .untuned running at 11.2 :1 AFR.

thanks for the input, will be sure to post up the results.

cheers Tim.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
the strokers goin good thanks mate...
you'd definately need at least that kind of cam (the specs anyway) to get results...be carefull with your cam and rocker combo though...and make sure you get adequate valve springs.
i think considering a twin throttle body would be wise, it will be difficult to get the result you want without one.
but upping the compression, massive cam, heavily ported heads (and a few other bits and pieces)...will definately start making some power.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
^^Agreed^^ it will cost you a **** load to get a N/A 3.8 to make that sort of power ! you're looking at slightly more power than a HSV 5.7L stroker 220+ KW... you'd get closer to that sort of figure with a L67 on 10 PSI boost with extractors and H/R rockers...:thumbsup:

Didn'go

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytech Speedway Car
Look at the Dyno read out thread. There is quite a few of 300+ hp naturally aspirated V6's getting round.Standard stroke. They run in Modified production cars on speedway tracks around aus. I have a couple in my shed.Series 1 is 245hp at the wheels. Series 2 is 180kw at the wheels.(different dyno's.) And I am certainly not amongst the top guys in the country. Rumour has it Dale Brennan from the Gympie Speed Shop has put an Eco on the track at 380hp. Current QLD 1.

Michelson4301

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Super6 Utility 5 speed
Sorry to sound like a noob, but are all these figures at the fly ?

chook231

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 UTE
Didn'go said:
Look at the Dyno read out thread. There is quite a few of 300+ hp naturally aspirated V6's getting round.Standard stroke. They run in Modified production cars on speedway tracks around aus. I have a couple in my shed.Series 1 is 245hp at the wheels. Series 2 is 180kw at the wheels.(different dyno's.) And I am certainly not amongst the top guys in the country. Rumour has it Dale Brennan from the Gympie Speed Shop has put an Eco on the track at 380hp. Current QLD 1.

thanks for the reply did'nt go

380 HP is a fair it more than the 320 or so hp that ive been lead to belive the stock cast iron heads are able to reliably support without cracking on ahot day, even with a bit of extra flow from extractors !!

i think i'll have to get some more info about the v6 speedway motors (probably solid cams with that much power ), i remember seeing a stripped out vn at niora speedway a few years ago running straight out of the extractors, but i didnt think anything of it at the time, and he was out in front of most of the cars on the track with all kinds of motors in them.

cheers
tim

Didn'go

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytech Speedway Car
Never heard about heads cracking? The main problem I know of around our circles, and haven't heard it for a while, was the blocks splitting up the middle of the main journals. But since the introduction of girdle plates that is a thing of the past.(I don't run one.)Cranks were believed to be an issue with the series one and two. But I only run a standard crank and rods, internally balanced and side polished with no counter balance shaft.And makes good power.