Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

300KW V6 Heading to Aus???

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
Not a turbo fan, more moving parts equals less reliability, V8 all the way and when you can't get them might as well buy a Charade.

will that be a 3 cylinder turbo charade?

....... Why turbo something to get the performance of a V8 when you can just buy a V8? ......

because some manufacturers do not want the friction losses and the pumping losses of a v8.

If 3 cars are just sitting in the driveway doing nothing but idling have you ever wondered why the 4 cylinder is more economical than the 6 cylinder? And the the 6 cylinder is more economical than the 8 cylinder? And the cars are not even moving. They are just sitting there idling - you need to think about WHY the 8 cylinder still uses more fuel at idle (like for like - with the same displacement if it helps to prevent an unfounded argument).

Last edited:

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
No they haven't, still expensive to repair and common sense says more moving parts equals less reliability. Why turbo something to get the performance of a V8 when you can just buy a V8? Not only that but engine life is reduced as a turbo works and revs harder to achieve the same power output.
As for resale value you would be mad to buy a turbo car with 100,000k on the clock but a V8 has just been run in at that.

As he says welcome to reality.
Basically everything you listed is wrong.
As an example a FG XR6 turbo makes it's peak torque at a lower rpm then a VE SS.
As for performance.................
Comparison review: Falcon XR6 Turbo v VF Commodore SS

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Apparently not many people buy a car based on its efficiency at idle?!
VF has most of the required bits in place in place to effect auto Stop / Start but Holden found buyers didn't care enough about whether they were spending zero, 1.5 litres of fuel per hour at idle or close to three litres to justify the additional capital outlay.
In Australia an adult's time is always more valuable than idle fuel expenditure per hour, even on the dole.
So reasonably, a V8 is more cost effective and efficient in human terms because it gets you to your destination quicker than the similar displacement, lesser performance engines.

Serioushustle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 5.7L

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
some may have missed the ENGINEERING viewpoint as to why manufacturers bother to turbo less displacement and less cylinders to get v8 performance. Not at all about vf or stop start or costs to idle for aussie families. It is the reason why ford put a 4cyl turbo in the falcon. Pump losses and friction losses kill a v8 every time in comparison to less cylinders (like for like).

If less of your litre is being used to just keep turning the crank then more of your litre can be used to increase its angular velocity and turn the wheels faster.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Just a quick question if you don't mind. Do you like holden at all? Any car you like etc etc.
If so, fair enough. If not, why do you bother coming to these forums?
Yep I do like Holden's, just not walking around with rose colored glasses on. I have been a member/admin for over 10 years here, think I'll stay.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
As an example a FG XR6 turbo makes it's peak torque at a lower rpm then a VE SS.

I didn't know the turbo reached 'Peak torque @ 2000 rpm'? Every chart I've seen contradicts that!
L77 has more torque at idle, so must be drastic peak 750-2000 then flatlines?
A chart would illustrate OFC, if available.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
What chart? The FG will peak hard and early and hold flat to redline.

Serioushustle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 5.7L
Yep I do like Holden's, just not walking around with rose colored glasses on. I have been a member/admin for over 10 years here, think I'll stay.

Fair reason to stay I think! You just seemed to dislike Holdens completely so I thought I'd ask.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
What chart? The FG will peak hard and early and hold flat to redline.

OK I'll keep looking for a falcon dyno charting torque of a stock turbo which shows it in fact has the opposite of lag between idle and 2000rpm, when it peaks at 530nm, like the twat in the article states, upon which you referenced how the xr6t makes peak torque earlier than the Holden V8.
2600rpm is xr6t untuned peak, most tunes shift curve into mid 3k territory.
Don't listen to Toby, at 2000 rpm a V8 has more torque - a stock L77 makes 406nm at idle (not wasting fuel) - that's more than the STI version of the WRX makes at its peak.

Last edited: