Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

300rwkw n/a ls1 with cam only + bolt ons + auto... possible & streetable?

sly_gen3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt acclaim gen 3
Lookin at about $4-$5 grand too get set up with a cam probably around $10g minimum too charge it and get decent power.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Raptor Superchargers

$4500-$4900 then a few hundred for a tune. Would be much easier than messing around with cams and stuff. And pretty much guaranteed around the 300rwkw mark.

roy38

Reaction score
Members Ride
thunder
If you want to go fast do your research and get bits that go together well, not just a mixture of off the shelf bits. If i were you I would be going down to a reputable performance shop and telling them what you want from the car (not a power figure) ie qt et, track, dyno queen, etc etc. You may get 300rwkw but with non compatible or unsuitable other parts you may not get it to the ground, or break the car, or run into ancillary problems such as having to upgrade fuel or intake or gearbox etc etc etc. At the end of the day going into a shop with your budget and a good idea of what you want will be best I'd say. Any good shop will be able to put together a RELIABLE and SUITED package for your needs in your budget.

LOWFLYR

Reaction score
Members Ride
Enhanced Auto cammed VXSS 5.7A4
If you want to go fast do your research and get bits that go together well, not just a mixture of off the shelf bits. If i were you I would be going down to a reputable performance shop and telling them what you want from the car (not a power figure) ie qt et, track, dyno queen, etc etc. You may get 300rwkw but with non compatible or unsuitable other parts you may not get it to the ground, or break the car, or run into ancillary problems such as having to upgrade fuel or intake or gearbox etc etc etc. At the end of the day going into a shop with your budget and a good idea of what you want will be best I'd say. Any good shop will be able to put together a RELIABLE and SUITED package for your needs in your budget.

spot on mate! excellent advice there

and to give an example to the op question regarding drivetrain loss. using mine and a mates cars- two vx ss', almost the same exhaust & intake (otr & t/b) set-up exact same cams 226/231 110lsa, 1 is a 6spd, 1 is an auto with a 3000rpm hi stall. mine (the a4) made 244 on a mainline whilst the manual made 290 on the same machine

nate-vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
blown vy v8 ute
im running 375rwkw and its easily streetable wouldnt bother as a daily as it would cost me a fortune but yeah 300rwkw is definately steetable

Ray-915

Squid
Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 HSV VZ R8 Clubsport M6/LS2
mine made 322rwkw manual twin plate clutch and a decent size cam and i was using it as an averyday driver for awile there and it was as easy as pie to drive. Hell even my missus drove it most of the time and she drives a lancer!

Can i recomend putting in a stealth steup nitrous system? Just a 100hp wet shot would make the world of diffrence, and for some reason with nitrous what you put in seems to always come out at the tyres in around about the same figure. So you could quiet easly see another 70rwkw with just a 100hp shot....easy cheap power!

sly_gen3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt acclaim gen 3
Thanks for all the advice guys. To LOWFLYER thats a big difference between the auto and manual i would of thought 20-30kws max thanks for clearing that up. In regards too running a big cam do you need to also upgade fuel system at the same time? I have also thought about a nitrous system which i will probably look into after i get cammed or whatever route i decide too take.

Vt_vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
carless for now
you dont need 300rwkw to get a easy 11 or a big cam for that matter the 4200 hi stall is a good idea as i know of a few people who has the 2500 and all wish they went bigger and there all daily drivers

sly_gen3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt acclaim gen 3
well i got the stall with the auto i bought so i might as well put it in:) has any one heard any news on these raptor super chargers? what kinda power are they makin?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
If you look one their site, they are claiming 300rwkw, nothing but stock with thier charger, so far as I have read, Raptor can usually back up their numbers. Now..... a big charger cam with the boost, I'm betting you might need new undies, do it, you know you want too.