Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 10.5 comp and crow 4761 cam idle and power issues

speed__demond

slammed and cammed
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vs statesman 5L
hey all, got the new motor in this weekend (finally)
just a few minor problems.

I hav to turn the idle cable up so it idles at 1000-1100 so it wont stall..
also its pretty gutless really...
could this all just be the timings off? I have to get hold of a timing light so I thought id hit up JC first and see what u guys recon.
P.S should It run fine with base 10 deg timing..

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8

could this all just be the timings off? I have to get hold of a timing light so I thought id hit up JC first and see what u guys recon.

I hope you got your cam timing spot on. You can check ign timing with light at 1100rpm so you know it is close. Fine tune it later when your ecu tune is better.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various

I'm assuming your running the stock tune on the ECU.

A cammed high comp engine will barely even run at all let alone idle without a tune......gonna have to take it to a tuner to get it sorted, the stock tune can't handle a worked motor, If it is on the stock tune, don't go driving it until you have it tuned.

You will also need a timing light to set it at 10 degrees BTDC (or to double check you are there already)

speed__demond

slammed and cammed
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
vs statesman 5L
Nah sorry guys. I have got a tune made.
Its in... I got mate coming tonight with a timing light wil see what comes up

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
As the other have said, you will need to ensure it's timed correctly to 10°BTDC in diagnostic mode.

The 10° timing is only to get the engine started. Once the engine speed goes over 300 (or possibly 400) rpm the PCM then takes over the ignition timing. With a decent size cam you will need more timing at idle than the standard tune. I think the Crow 4761 is their equivalent to the Crane 286 cam. Regardless I wouldn't try and set the idle to low, even when you get some timing into it.

speed__demond

slammed and cammed
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
vs statesman 5L
yeah were gunna check the timing tonight, but ive just found code 36 pop up... this is weird done the same thing on the last motor and ive replaced all vac lines and put clamps on them all...
does anyone recon a dodge booster could cause it? I might try plug the booster vac line to the motor and see if it idles better

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
code 36 will be vacuam leak code set when TPS and map sensor readings dont agree with each other

speed__demond

slammed and cammed
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
vs statesman 5L
yeah I know... tried 3 different maps and 3 different tps...
replaced most of the vac lines and clamped them all. also tried blocking the booster line off but made no difference, its definitely noticeably less vac with the cam as the brakes are harder.
I just cant find the bastard leak...
replaced manifold gasket and injectors with new ones no difference, then replaced motor and new injectors again...
prob gunna take it to a mechanic that has a smoke machine I guess..

ps timing came up stupid advance but im guessing its because the idles a bit high at 1100-1200. I only have the throttle screw at this to keep it from stalling

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I am sure that if you are in diagnostic mode and check your timing then it stays at 10deg irrespective of rpm. I could be wrong though (immortality will know)
otherwise; when warm, turn the screw down to see if you can force an idle down to even 900rpm. because that is fairly close to the recommended 750-850 range

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
in diagnostic mode the timing will stay locked at 10 degrees untill above 2000rpm.you also need to have the correct tps theres two directions of rotation availiable and then in one rotation direction theres 1 tps that needs preloaded 1/4 of a turn and then turned to lineup the screw holes the other just slides on allready lined up.