Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304/355 running temp

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
Hey fellas.

What normal operating temps are you guys getting in your 355 strokers?

My brother has a 355, vp block, ported cast vn heads, harrop highrise etc. Makes nearly 400hp at the wheels.

Has a burnout king 100mm thick alloy radiator with shroud and twin thermos, and a high flow 195degree thermostat.

Runs 200 normally and gets up to 220-230 when raping.

Is this excessive??

500rwhp corn juiced & boosted ls1

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
In theory, if the cooling system is up to the job the engine should run at the thermostat temp.

When you say "raping it", can you clarify please. If you mean doing burnouts then yes, elevated temps are expected. IF you mean driving fast than no, you shouldn't see elevated temps because as you go faster your getting more airflow through the radiator so the amount of cooling is increased.

What thermo fans/shroud is it running? I assume your talking about the Aussie Desert Cooler, burnout king radiator? Not heard a lot of good stuff about ADC radiators.

I'd also suggest 180° C thermostat. I'm also not a big fan of the "high flow" thermostats, I think they are a gimmick. The thermostat is there to restrict flow to control/regulate the engine temperature otherwise why bother running a thermostat if full flow is what you want?

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
In theory, if the cooling system is up to the job the engine should run at the thermostat temp.

When you say "raping it", can you clarify please. If you mean doing burnouts then yes, elevated temps are expected. IF you mean driving fast than no, you shouldn't see elevated temps because as you go faster your getting more airflow through the radiator so the amount of cooling is increased.

What thermo fans/shroud is it running? I assume your talking about the Aussie Desert Cooler, burnout king radiator? Not heard a lot of good stuff about ADC radiators.

I'd also suggest 180° C thermostat. I'm also not a big fan of the "high flow" thermostats, I think they are a gimmick. The thermostat is there to restrict flow to control/regulate the engine temperature otherwise why bother running a thermostat if full flow is what you want?

Yeah adr desert king with their fans and shroud(which we shaved 25mm off to clear Gilmer drive). And yes I originally suggested to him to run a PWR originally but.....

By raping I meant fast driving and skids at powercruise, full throttle runs obviously. Runs 190-200 when doing 100kmh.

Yeah I also don't believe in hi-flow thermostats, which doesn't matter in this situation as the harrop manifold has a 3/8 bypass port anyway.
And for the record I don't believe in running no thermostat.

In all honestly I think the temp is fine, however I need some other opinions to allay his concerns, and confirm that I'm not leading him astray.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
Yeah, well in those conditions I would expect to see some elevated temps, sustained use of throttle without a lot of high speed (so not a lot of airflow) will see more heat. As long as it doesn't creep up to much ( do the thermo fans pull the temps down when they kick in?) than it should be fine.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
switch the heater on at skid times :spot on:

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
No heater.....lol

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
Yeah, well in those conditions I would expect to see some elevated temps, sustained use of throttle without a lot of high speed (so not a lot of airflow) will see more heat. As long as it doesn't creep up to much ( do the thermo fans pull the temps down when they kick in?) than it should be fine.

Thermos run constantly. No thermatic switch atm.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
ignition timing will cool it down a bit if its tuned with low timing it will get hot.im struggling to keep up at thermostat temp in a 304 with cam heads and comp.stock mechanical fan FTW

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Radiator is **** for staters.

Stock t/stat with 1-3 1/8th holes. Clutch fan. 220-230 is very hot for a banger motor. U want 210 tops. Should cruise around on 170-190.

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
Radiator is **** for staters.

Stock t/stat with 1-3 1/8th holes. Clutch fan. 220-230 is very hot for a banger motor. U want 210 tops. Should cruise around on 170-190.

Stock thermo is 195 for a vp v8motor supposedly. Don't need holes drilled in thermostat as it has a 3/8" bypass right next to it as its a harrop manifold.

Not sure what you mean by banger motor? Lol