Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 5.0L vs 355 5.7L Stroker

commod8

swim wit da fishes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6 Auto
herrow! just wondering if the 355 stroker in the vr and vs hsv's would use LESS petrol than then 304 motors. obviously the 355 is a bigger engine so it sounds right that it uses more petrol, but it has more power, so it doesn't have to be revved as hard.
any help will be much appreciated!
:)

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
Using that theory a 540 merlin would use less fuel than a v6 commodore. Not happening. More capacity/power = increased fuel usage.

commod8

swim wit da fishes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6 Auto
k thanx mate. but how many more litres per 100km would the 355 use over the 304?

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
slundy said:
Using that theory a 540 merlin would use less fuel than a v6 commodore. Not happening. More capacity/power = increased fuel usage.

You're right to a point...but under exact same driving conditions, I wouldn't be suprised if a GenIII or IV would use the same, if not less fuel than my VN V6, and I know for a fact that highway cruising, the V8's get better economy than my car. Having said that, the APS twin turbo kit returns fuel economy in the 7L/100km range in the highway, but when driven hard it'd be frightening how much it'd drink...There's a lot more to it than just more power = more fuel...

commod8

swim wit da fishes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6 Auto
cool mate thanx for the help

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
put it this way i used to drive my brothers vq stato 304 had some work. compared to my old stock vs calais. the v8 didnt go through as much fuel compared to the v6. but like said depends on the driver lol pretty much. but thats why now i have a v8 but i have gas which makes it cheaper again.

commod8

swim wit da fishes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6 Auto
cool caz, thanx for the info!

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
Evman said:
You're right to a point...but under exact same driving conditions, I wouldn't be suprised if a GenIII or IV would use the same, if not less fuel than my VN V6, and I know for a fact that highway cruising, the V8's get better economy than my car. Having said that, the APS twin turbo kit returns fuel economy in the 7L/100km range in the highway, but when driven hard it'd be frightening how much it'd drink...There's a lot more to it than just more power = more fuel...

Ok, so I was exadurating a bit. Yes to a certian extent it is true but as you say it is all realitive. I would expect a gen 3 to use less fuel than a 253 seeing how theres 30 odd years difference in technoligy. To gie a short answer, I would believe that a 355 would use more fuel than a 304.

commod8

swim wit da fishes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6 Auto
yeah i'm starting to think to the same to. thanx for helping :)

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
my 304 is a pig on fuel.