Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 5L

Jake bowers

Reaction score
Members Ride
304 5L
I’ve recently just purchased my first 304 5L engine what should I do to it? I want to rebuild the motor to make some power, what should I do to it?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I’ve recently just purchased my first 304 5L engine what should I do to it? I want to rebuild the motor to make some power, what should I do to it?

If your rebuilding it the only way to get any power out of them is to raise the compression. They were super low from factory (like 8:4:1).

Some flat top pistons and head work should get you up there, then a decent cam to help it breathe.

If you want big power you'll need to do the above and also go a 355 stroker crank + accessories.

Even then your probably spending $10k to get 220RWKW at best. If your looking for power, go LS. If your looking for a cool angry cruiser then go 355.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
What are you putting the engine into?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Stroked a 304 to 355 a few years ago in a skid car, kit plus cam was about $3k. No boring required, just honed. Clearanced the block to take the crank, drilled through the cam galleries for the oil mod, all new valves and roller rockers. Did all the work myself so was back in the car for under $5k. A decision was made to skid it without retuning and grenaded it. Swapped it out for an LS1 and 4L60E for $1500 and made 360rwhp with nothing but a tune.

As above, what are you putting it into and what do you want from it?

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore

Skid Factory 304 build

H

harrop.senator

Stroked a 304 to 355 a few years ago in a skid car, kit plus cam was about $3k. No boring required, just honed.

How was it a 355 if it wasn't bored hehe.

Biggest let down is 6500 rpm on mains and the intake manifold.

What's your budget?

H

harrop.senator

The 355 comes from the .030 over man with a stock bore they're a 350. Sorry was just being a smart arse.