Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 budget rebuild - guaranteed to make you cringe

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I may look into priority mains piling on the 308 I plan to build. This one's just a quick/cheap throw together job. I figure if I don't spend too much on it, I won't feel as bad giving it a hard time.

Just looking at the compression ratio, with the VT heads looks like it'll be around 10.3:1 with the current deck height assuming the flat tops maintain the same height.

Any idea on the maximum safe compression with my cam choice running 98 and LPG? VN heads may be the better option to lower the comp a little.
Do you know the exact pour / clearance volume (all of it incl. chamber vol., dome or dish, gasket thickness, gasket bore, deck clearance)?
What's the cam's IVC @ 0.006"?

Depends on squish / quench but FWIW usable DCR for 98 is around 9.0 and 10.2 on Autogas with current alu heads.

Vs ethanol propane gets freaky as you push close to autoignition, why Autogas?

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Happy to swap the VT heads with my VN's if you want.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Will definitely do the oil pump mod.

Cam specs are 214/[email protected] Adv:278/278 Valve lift:.464/.464, so it's only a baby. I've taken rough measurements in regards to the chamber volume/deck height/head gasket bore & thickness. IF the new flat tops maintain the same compression height, compression WILL be above 10.2:1 with the VT heads. Could always take a few cc's out of the chamber anyway to lower comp a bit if it needs it I spose.

Autogas because it's cheap and I like it :p

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Haven't done much more to this recently, but purchased a starr manifold for it so will be picking it up tonight.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I just picked up this a couple of weeks ago. No actual project for it to go on but it was too good a price to pass it up. Definitely gonna be a hole cut in the bonnet of something to make it fit :)

0-02-06-c14f07f72c9851a9f2c5c1a8ffda04cd49bf74ce9e0b3e1f6edeb7f51c460deb_full.jpg

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
See thats the sort of manifold you should be buying Craig.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I bought a mint redline hywinder and stupidly sold it to a mate lol.

Aim for this one is just for a totally stock appearance. Will look into something a little more exciting for the HJ when the time comes anyway :p

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Tunnel ram would go alright in the HJ....

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Tunnel ram would go alright in the HJ....
If bonnet clearance permits I wouldn't mind trying one of the new dual plane edelbrock airgap. Would probably need a reverse cowl to keep things legal. Just another project lol

problem is I like more of a factory look.

Anyway here's a pic of the manifold I grabbed tonight. Has been port matched, so looks like there shouldn't be too much work to do to it. Needs some paint though.
KOnhKMt.jpg

Last edited: