Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 CAM - Crow 4502 OR 4001 (same as crane 268)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yeah, you would. Especially if you change the intake manifold.

If you wanted to do it on the cheap you could just use the SV5000 tune.

The crow 4001 is fairly much the sv5000 cam, the crow 4502 is more like the GRP A cam.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I've got a 4502. I wish it was more manly. I should have gone 4503 or other.
Cranking about 279rwhp with bananas before I upped the extractors to the next size.

I NEED MORE POWA!!!

P.s 4502 should be perfect for your application.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Wraith that sounds awesome, did you have a rear resonator, or just twin 2.5" through to the rear? Did you have extractors too? My aim is to keep it on the quiet side, so I suspect with a slightly smaller exhaust and resonator the lope wouldn't really be noticeable?

The dude from crow cams told me that the 4502 is a much more modern design and is more technologically advanced, as opposed to the 4001 which is a 30+ year old design.

Deuce, was that with the stroker and alloy heads?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Wraith that sounds awesome, did you have a rear resonator, or just twin 2.5" through to the rear? Did you have extractors too? My aim is to keep it on the quiet side, so I suspect with a slightly smaller exhaust and resonator the lope wouldn't really be noticeable?

The dude from crow cams told me that the 4502 is a much more modern design and is more technologically advanced, as opposed to the 4001 which is a 30+ year old design.

Deuce, was that with the stroker and alloy heads?

Stock HSV extractors. High flow cat. 2.5inch single with just a muffler from memory. No idea what muffler it had but yeah sounded awesome but pretty loud.

With a properly designed system it can be as loud or quiet as you want without affecting power really. People just assume noise = power. The VZ I have now (different motor obviously being LS1 but same rules apply) has a twin 2.5 inch system with a big muffler and resonator and is pretty quiet.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride

Nahh the 4502 is still an old grind, just not as old as the 4001. Both are still very low intensity lobes with low lobe lift. These days there are much better cams available. Have a look at Kelford Cams in NZ (I suspect the car Delco is talking about above probably has a Kelford cam in it) they have a more modern lobe with increased lobe intensity (the difference between advertised and 0.050" timing). Increased lobe intensity means you bleed off less cylinder pressure so you get more bang for your buck so to speak.

Check this one out (about the same as the 4502 measured at .050") 170-C Camshaft - 304 EFI V8 - Kelford Cams but will go much better than the 4502 ;)

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
if going kelford go the D version :D

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Lol. I was thinking that too, but OP was using words like fuel economy and standard idle.

So which one are we going to put in your 355;)