Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 can only achive 245kw

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
hi all,

is it true that a 304 can only go to 245kw, any higher and you need to change your inlet manifold?
im asking cuz the performance place i went to to get the exhaust said, once i've done my exhaust and got a haltech in there thats apparently all i can do with the std intake manifold which takes it to 245kw, now to me this doesn't seem right, how can just an exhaust and computer give me 50kw and thats the max it will handle?

cheers all

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
Incorrect. However as you change parts, others cannot cope or are restrictive. Its a never ending process. The stock inlet manifold can support good power but as other things are done around it (things like heads, injectors, exhaust) they will flow better than the manifold and the manifold will become restrictive.

Im sure you can get more than 245kw. Think about the guys who supercharge them?

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
slundy said:
Im sure you can get more than 245kw. Think about the guys who supercharge them?

yea thats what i thought, because i don't just want to stop with exhaust and computer, i was also thinking of a cam, piston, and rod change and leaving it at that without having to change the injectors or intake manifold.

cheers for your info:thumbsup:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The standard bananas have 17 inch long runners, they are tuned to make maximum power under 5200 rpm and to make alot of power you need to turn way more than 5200 rpm so yes (unless it's running boost). You need to change the manifold to one with shorter runners if you are chasing really high numbers (but you wont have the low end punch that the long runners give you)

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
Should go a starr manifold or even a come ttb if your serious. Even though the manifold may not be restricting much flow it will definently be an increase in power and torque. With the starr manifold you'l get the 90mm tb, air intake and chip as a package. I think it would make a big increase. I run this current setup minus the chip on my stroker. However i am looking at getting a come ttb as i suspect the current manifold to b alittle restricting + you gotta love the look of the come.