Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Carby or 308 Carby?

wez84

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv/vr calais V6 turbo oneday N/A Track car
that is true but i thought the op said he was going to put a v8 in his vk so i just assumed that he would have to buy some sort of headers anyways.
And if he was planing on stroking it he must plan on spending money

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Better of using the 308 block for legallities.

They'll root you up the ass for using a block with a fuel injected serial number...

MY_84_VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina/VX S Pac
Yeah so not planning to spend $800 on a manifold, lol. Yeah for legalities I thought that the 308 block was the best option but they are hard to come by, do you think if I used the later 304 out of a vk with the VA prefix I would get away with it because its out of a VK? Second question is, is the VA block different from the VT in terms of mounting your manifold heads etc? Cause I'm pretty sure dad has a 308 Edelbrock manifold floating around here somewhere and I know that it will go straight onto the early 308 in the vk series (VT prefix), but would it also suit the later 304 in the VK series (VA prefix)?

Oh and to give you guys a heads up, I'm planning to stroke it 355 with most probably a stage 4 cam, roller rockers with a 5 speed celica or supra box behind it.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
stage 4 cam with stock heads is a massive waste of time.

but i can talk to you about it till im blue in the face and you will probably still go ahead, so yeah. 304 block is the same as 308. everything bolts up.

dunno why you are thinking about the VA either. nothin special about them, except the stroke is 0.9mm shorter and 1 horse power less. bore is the same so wont make didly squat difference if you go stroker. prefixes on a VK were: VT, VZ, VA, VB, VC and VG. all of them will be accepted by vicroads without looking twice.

so let me get this straight... you are stroking this thing to 355... but you dont wanna spend 800 on a manifold?

MY_84_VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina/VX S Pac
Its not going to have stock heads, I'm getting them done to run unleaded, putting bigger valves in it along with roller rockers, so they will be far from stock.
Yeah I knew the stroke was different I just didn't know if they did anything to the 304 to make them better than the 308 obviously the only way they did that was to throw injection on it.
Isn't $800 on a manifold expensive? I mean the stroker kit I'm looking at is only $1000, I couldn't justify the price of a manifold compared with that, and I wouldn't exactly need a brand new manifold, I could by one second hand thats been sitting around in some guys shed for years and just get it acid dipped and crack tested like the block to ensure theres nothing wrong with it?

wez84

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv/vr calais V6 turbo oneday N/A Track car
putting a massive cam in with out a good manifold and a good port job wont do you any good, not to mention the loss of manifold vacuum a huge cam will cause.
also you should have a look at how much a set of roller rockers are worth they are normally $600 +

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Its not going to have stock heads, I'm getting them done to run unleaded, putting bigger valves in it along with roller rockers, so they will be far from stock.

i dont mean to be rude mate, but 1.94 and 1.6 (biggest you can go with unleaded seats) is pretty piss poor. yella terra early heads have 1.6 and 2.02 and VN come with 1.6 and 1.94 stock, then they can go up to 2.08. not to mention the inlet ports are too small to achieve anything over 330 odd horsepower in our heads so you need to have a guy with a grinder and about 1500 bucks.

and i am sorry. but 1000 bucks for a stroker kit??? your f'ken dreaming. unless you are talking procomp, then its probably better than you stick with early heads cos you dont wanna push any horses on their cranks.

i mentioned AT racing worls inlets cos not much can go wrong with a block of alloy, but if you are talking about one of their stroker kits, then i give up on this thread altogether.

MY_84_VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina/VX S Pac
I see, well there goes that idea out the window.... Sounds like I'd be better off just trying to find a car thats had all the engine work done in it and just switching it into my car. Cause by the sounds of it its going to cost me in excess of $4000 easy to build an engine. Hmm well this has shed some light on everything, in that case, what would be the best to do with a 308 for around $2500?