Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Carby or 308 Carby?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
yeah thats the truth. so you know what i think you should do with your 2500? i think you should get yourself a cheap 308. should be able to pick up a virgin for 800. get one of these for 550: NEW HOLDEN EFI VN LOW RISE CARBY MANIFOLD - In Stock at atracingworld.com get a pair of VN heads in working condition for 400 get some extractors to suit vk efi heads for 700 then get a quaddy for 150

gay, thats 2600 already :(

then you will still need all the bits to fit the V8, like trans and front springs. hmm. might have to rethink this.

you can have my VK for 5 grand :) then take all the stuff off it and put it on yours

MY_84_VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina/VX S Pac
The virgin block to start with sounds the best, I want something thats untouched so I know its good , most preferably from an old guy so I know it hasn't had the **** fanged out of it, lol. Not sure about the vn heads, would they be the equivalent of 308 heads that have been done up for unleaded? Extractors hopefully dad has a pair lying around somewhere I think in the shed *fingers crossed* lol. Trans I already have just need a bell housing for it, front springs and brakes are already done. All I really need is an engine and radiator, lol

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Ya can get some goodies pretty cheap if ya go 2nd hand. A mate rung me the other week offering me a Harrop 355 crank, rods and pistons for $1200. Was 2nd hand out of one of his mate's motors who was going bigger. But yeah turned it down coz I wasn't gonna spend that much (which has changed now lol). I picked up a toque power hi rise manifold for VN heads for $550 second hand. Same mate that told me bout the stroker bits also knew of a Harrop hi-rise manifold for VN heads second hand for $600 which was polished, or another one the same not polished for $500. Haven't been able to find a cheap set of extractors tho, I had to fork out the $600-$700 and buy a new set for mine. Altho VN/VP stocko extractors can fit, a mate used a set in his VK.

Just keep trolling car forums, ebay and gumtree, even search google coz sumthing might pop up in a forum ur not a member of. There's plently of bargains out there!

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
Got a question for you all,
Planning to put a V8 into my VK and stroke it out to a 355 with a nice carby setup.
My question is would I be better off using a black motor block that came stock with the VK/VL or using a later model VN+ EFI motor and putting old school heads on it to run a carby setup?

All input is muchly appreciated!
cant run a fuel injected motor as carby....sorry physically u can...legally u cant!...however! u can use the vn efi heads on a 308 block...which is what everyone does! and to run those heads right..with all the valve, springs cams lifters, timechain ect ect youll need about 2grand approx maybe more...unless u can find a complete stock set and just get new cam and lifters

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
stage 4 cam with stock heads is a massive waste of time.

but i can talk to you about it till im blue in the face and you will probably still go ahead, so yeah. 304 block is the same as 308. everything bolts up.

dunno why you are thinking about the VA either. nothin special about them, except the stroke is 0.9mm shorter and 1 horse power less. bore is the same so wont make didly squat difference if you go stroker. prefixes on a VK were: VT, VZ, VA, VB, VC and VG. all of them will be accepted by vicroads without looking twice.

so let me get this straight... you are stroking this thing to 355... but you dont wanna spend 800 on a manifold?
haha crack up!