Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Carby or 308 Carby?

MY_84_VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina/VX S Pac
Got a question for you all,
Planning to put a V8 into my VK and stroke it out to a 355 with a nice carby setup.
My question is would I be better off using a black motor block that came stock with the VK/VL or using a later model VN+ EFI motor and putting old school heads on it to run a carby setup?

All input is muchly appreciated!

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

wez84

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv/vr calais V6 turbo oneday N/A Track car
there is a coulple of ways to do it
if you kept the old 308 and wanted to put the the vn heads on (much better then old ones) you will have to change the cam to suit the 304 heads and new carby manifold for the vn heads.
Or if you put the 304 in all you will have to do is change it to a carby manifold.
Assuming the 308 it a black motor is should be a turbo gearbox pattern which is the same as the newer 304

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
if I could take an injected motor rip the injection off and throw a carby on it I'd do that but I didn't think it was possible?

thats what i would do.

im stuck with early heads. CBF replacing my inlet manifold, cam, lifters, extractors etc. wasted a tonne of money going early style. please dont make the same mistake. go vn before you buy anything else for it. then drop on a cheap AT racing world inlet manifold till you can afford something decent.

a quaddy should work really well, but you will need to take it to a fella that knows his stuff cos' in stock form, itll struggle. especially if you throw a cam in there.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
You'll need and aftermarket manifold.

Google torque power. They're about $800.