Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 efi heads 308 stroker

Nuggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore 308 stroker
Hi everybody

Fresh noob here to engine building and modifying

Just wondering if 304 efi heads can be run on a 308 stroker motor with a carberator set up rather than injection, iv been told that the only way it will work is if I buy 304 non efi heads but surely there has been manifolds made up to fit the efi heads on the 308’s with carby

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yes you can use 304 heads on a 308 based engine, you just need to get the correct intake and exhaust manifolds along with the matching cam due to the different valve arrangement.

Nuggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore 308 stroker
Yea that’s what I thought, but a friend of mine said I couldn’t use the efi heads without making the engine itself injected, but i want to keep it carby with 304 heads, thanks for the feedback

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Harrop.. and others make carb intake manifolds for EFI 304/308 heads
that bolt on

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I see you are in NZ, there is a guy selling a high rise intake and Holley carb combo on Trademe, he wants ******* gold for em but they would do the job depending on how radical your build is.

Nuggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore 308 stroker
Hahaha yea I saw that post on there today and saw the price, nearly had a heart attack, with prices like that I could buy brand new for an extra couple Hundy

Nuggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore 308 stroker
Yea iv seen the Harrop and the edelbrock ones but I think harrop ones look and sound the best, they look like a really nice tidy manifold

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Depends on your engine combo, the single plain manifolds really are more for the well built combo.

Looking at the pics on TM that manifold is a Torque Power little paw, a very good manifold but as you say he's almost asking new prices for used parts.

Nuggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore 308 stroker
The guy iv got to help me build the engine is a mad genius when it comes to these motors, but I’m trying to learn as much as I can myself also to make it easier on him plus I don’t want to be one of those guys who doesn’t know crap about his own car, I’m fairly mechanicly minded, just first time rebuilding a motor, want to do it right

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
What vehicle is this all in?
As said, valve arrangement is different, so you will need efi cam, efi heads, 'vn' carb manifold, efi exctractors.

Basically the same amount of work as a head and cam swap, it's just a few things more changing in the same process.